Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

switch between LDO and switch regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gopala

Hi all,
I need to design a regulator that could get a regulated 3.3V out of 4V to 36V range. And again, looking back at LDO and switched, and seeing their efficiencies, I came to conclusion that it would be better if I could use LDO and Switched regulator simultaneously by implementing a kind of "if condition" in hardware to choose LDO when i/p voltage is less than 10V else choose Switched regulator.
Did anybody out there came across similar design. Could you please give some design circuit that would enable me do this. May be I need to use some sort of comparator.

Thanks in advance

Gopal

Without doing the math, it seems possible to use a single buck converter (depending on your load) that could work from 4-36V. If it got too close to 4, you could build a buck/boost. I have a template from some simple converters that I can post if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back