Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

surge arresters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mpj11111

Hi All ,

My garage door operates when there is a power failure, When I turn off & on circuit braker garage door operates. I belive small surge voltage operates it, I connceted cheaper surge arrester to socket, but no luck, still the same. Could you please let me know any solution or idea. Do you think expensive surge protecter solve the problem, My concern is if nobody is at home or in the middle of the night, garage door opens in the event of power surge.

Thanks for your reply.

It may not be the "surge" per se, rather poor circuit design when it is powered up handling
inputs and outputs of the main controller chip.

You could find the control line and build a power on delay circuit when power is restored,
would take some effort as probably no schematic available for it. But you know power fets
or bipolars are being controlled eg. their gate/base device connections being driven by the
control circuit.

You could always consider putting a PC UPS on it for power control.....Has to have enough power
rating, and this would handle a lot of the short term AC line power disruptions. Just a thought.
You could rent/borrow a clamp meter, they are actually pretty cheap, to see what the non operating
current/power drain is for the garage door opener to help you decide what size UPS to buy.

Note the opener may draw such low power even the clampmeter cannot pick up.
So a zero reading may be valid unless the clampmeter has good sensitivity

Or use a ESP8266/ESP32 to detect door open and send you an SMS to your phone.....whenever
door is opened.....

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back