Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Surfboard pins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oznog

I may need to edge-connect a tiny board onto another board in a low profile, and I'd prefer not to use those right-angle board interconnects due to the profile overhead.

I take it most people have seen "surfboards", those little standup boards to take a surface mount component and connect it to a single row of inline pins on the edge of the board so you can prototype with it.

Those pins pinch the top and bottom surfaces at the edge of the board, and were soldered into place. I think I need to use some of those pins, but I don't have a source or even a name to search for. Any ideas?

Oznog said:
I may need to edge-connect a tiny board onto another board in a low profile, and I'd prefer not to use those right-angle board interconnects due to the profile overhead.

I take it most people have seen "surfboards", those little standup boards to take a surface mount component and connect it to a single row of inline pins on the edge of the board so you can prototype with it.

Those pins pinch the top and bottom surfaces at the edge of the board, and were soldered into place. I think I need to use some of those pins, but I don't have a source or even a name to search for. Any ideas?

I know what you are talking about.. I do not know the name of those. I am interested to see if someone else does know..

This company has some similar type methods & products which might be considered an alternative. They offer a machine pin that can be soldered onto the pad.

https://www.zierick.com/

Digikey sells the Capital Squarelegs UNI-SIP protoboards (https://www.capitaladvanced.com/products.htm ), but I am not sure if they sell the pins separately.

Vero also sold the pins many moons ago, but I couldn't get a link for them.

Here is the Vero site with similar things:

**broken link removed**

One thing I have done to repair such things in consumer products was to use the pins from a wire-wrap IC socket. I believe they were AMP brand sockets, and when the pin was removed, it is pretty much what you are looking for, with a small u clip into a square pin.

Oznog said:

Over 83 views and no one knows what these things are called or where to get em... I suppose you could take step in contacting surfboard and asking since I'm sure they buy them from someone.

plot said:

There are likely lots of alternative solutions like the ones you've been posting. I'm sure he'll get something to work like these. But like Oznog, I've been curious about the exact types used in the surfboards as they sort of slide onto pads and wont require a plated through hole in a PCB.

I think I have even seen these on other similar product so I have to believe someone out there is making them (i.e. its not a custome job just for surfboard company)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back