Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB-C connector 'reversible' power pins ?!

bob4bvm

Trying to get my head around the USB-C power delivery...
I am powering an ESP32 via the port and just discovered that the cable plugs in either way !
Moreover, the device accepts the power and operates normally in either case...

I made the power cable by cutting the "C" end off a cheap USB C cable and attaching what i measured as being the V+ and Gnd wires to my 5V supply (battery sourced), after measuring the 5V polarity of the original cable from the USB-A (power source) end.
Being careful to mark the orientation of the C-end connector to maintain polarity. I was then surprised to find that the C plug will insert in either direction, which to my mind should swap the 5V +/- connection; and even more surprised to see that the ESP32 runs fine either way.

I read a bit on the USB C interface and it seems there is more going on that meets the eye. I wonder how that works when the cheap cable i butchered up has only 4 wires from the source end, 2 outside ones carrying 5V & Gnd, and 2 smaller center wires which appear to be data lines

Cheers
Bob

Thanks for your reply and the interesting spec doc !

I guess the 4-wire USB A end must do some kind of fanout to more pins at the C end. I would term my app a "captive" cable as defined in the doc, since i am just hard-wiring to 2 power conductors there to the 5V source

Seems like alot of magic going on in that tiny USB-C plug !

Bob

Latest threads

Back