Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Surface mount tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray5596

Does anyone recommend a tool for holding surface mount components? I recently had to replace a surface mount transistor, SOT23 and my hand held suction tool that I use for ICs wasn't able to hang onto this tiny device. (There has to be something better than a toothpick and superglue)

my hand held suction tool that I use for ICs wasn't able to hang onto this tiny device
Could you make an adapter for the tool nozzle? Can you post a pic of the tool?

I apply gel rosin flux or simply pure petroleum jelly to the part before placing. I place & nudge with tweezers mainly, not the vacuum tools. Hot air if used at an angle can blow a part off the pads, also if the air flow rate is large the same can happen. Occasionally when replacing parts in an assembly with a steep gradient you will have to hold the part in place while using the hot air or tinned iron tip.

Mixing down old solder paste with rosin gel can improve the application process and make the pads more tacky.

Ian, yes, I was using an iron instead of a heatgun. I will try the solder paste next time and plan to shop around for a heatgun. Thanks for all the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back