Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Summing offset

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr.power

Hi guys,

I have got a question.
I have an altenate wave going to an inverting op amp for amplification by factor of say 30. Now I need to Sum the said alternating signal by some amount of DC offset. Suppose that the alternating signal is "Vm*sinwt, so I want to get "Vdc + Vm*sinwt" at the output of the op-amp. I know that I can use a second op-amp as a SUMMING op-amp so that add the dc offset which is generated by a pot? But Do I HAVE TO use the second op-amp as the summing op-amp? IS'nt it right If a mix the pot to the first op-amp somehow to get
"Vdc + Vm*sinwt"? It will help to avoide using a second op-amp as summing, But I am not sure if it is effective just like using the second op-amp? Of course I am able to add a second op-amp as the summing if there is any problem with the other method I am taliking about.

I myself thinking of using just the said inverting op-amp and use its noninverting pin to add the said dc offset. Any idea plz?

Thanks in advance

But Do I HAVE TO use the second op-amp as the summing op-amp?
No. You can add the offset at the first. Do you want the DC offset amplified by 30 also?

No. You can add the offset at the first. Do you want the DC offset amplified by 30 also?

Hi Alec.
No I do not want to Dc offset to be amplified.
We can just use a NON inverting op-amp instead of an inverting one and use a cap in seriese with "Ri" of the op amp so that let the op-amp to have a gain of 1 for DC values, But then I do not know how to add the dc offset to the op-amp...

Two ways to add a DC offset:

1) Use an inverting op amp with a second input resistor in parallel with the first. If you make its value the same as the feedback resistor, the gain from that input will be -1 for any input signal, DC or AC.

2) Use an inverting op amp with a capacitor in series with Ri, as you noted. Input the DC at the plus (+) input which has a gain of +1 for DC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back