Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stud Detector - operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGuinn

I understand that pipe and metal detectors use electromagnetic pulses to locate metalic objects within range, but how does such an object also detect a beam or stud which has no iron within it?

Does it use ultra-sonic?

Stud detector

Years ago, I had the same question, so I took apart my Sears studfinder to see how it worked. It used a simple oscillator based on some CD4000 gates, and the back side of the circuit board as a split-plane capacitive sensor (ingenious & extremely simple). The circuit responds to changes in the capacitors' dielectric material, which in this case is the drywall and any studs behind it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back