Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Strangely beautiful electrical phenomenon

Status
Not open for further replies.
<falls out of chair laughing>
I'm sorry shortbus, but do you actually think the world is fair? =)

There used to be a general internet forum taboo, involving any mention of a short moustachioed Austrian hell-bent on world domination, which would end up getting a thread locked shortly afterward.

There were even some form of odds placed, suggesting that the longer any particular 'heated' topic was debated, the likelyhood of the taboo being mentioned would increase.

We seem to have got past that, but.....

It seems the letters following F and V are the new taboo....

Hitler? Oh no, the cats out of the bag! Lemmi start a stop watch.

Last edited:
I think a more interesting question is why does nearly every thread need to be hijacked and turned into a topic that has been prohibited??? Trying to flaunt the rules? Sore losers?

Last edited:
Trying to wreck another one of my threads by provoking others with your global warming BS again Brownout? :mad:

Its probably why you dont seem to have much for respect or friends around here on many subjects if you have not noticed by now. :mad:

Nobody wants to play with you and your stupid topic any more. It just makes us all lose respect for each other when ever you join in so please go take your global warming superiority complex to another forum where its welcomed. :mad:

You must have a severe reading deficiency. Your threads are wrecked before I ever get involved; usually they start off that way. But of course, for you to acknowledge the truth would rob you of the opportunity to throw one of your crybaby hissy fits, eh? I guess that's how you've made so many friends, those naive, doe-eyed little children who mistake your temper tantrums for some sort of crusade. Congratulations for being the pied-piper of ETO. What an extraordinary accomplishment :D

Last edited:
back to the topic, I read up in National Geographic, they had excellent pictures there. These volcano lightnings are part of it, but what interests me more is the formation of "fulgurites". That is why lightnings are something I really like to watch when it's storming here. :)

Fulgurite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One of the main charactors from Sweet Home Alabama supposedly made a living off those. When a thunderstorm was coming through he'd stake metal rods into the ground at a beach to promote a lightning strike and come back and check to see if any where struck. I don't know how practical that really is but the theory is sound, you just have to know pretty much right where a thunderstorm is going to end up.

One of the main charactors from Sweet Home Alabama supposedly made a living off those. When a thunderstorm was coming through he'd stake metal rods into the ground at a beach to promote a lightning strike and come back and check to see if any where struck. I don't know how practical that really is but the theory is sound, you just have to know pretty much right where a thunderstorm is going to end up.

I've seen documentaries in the past, on how the earth at strike sites is changed and branches out like tree roots.....People dig up and study these things....Fulgurites appears to be the correct term.

A web link:
In the film 'Sweet Home Alabama' it is implied that when lightning strikes sand, the quarz in the sand turns into a glass sculpture similar to a plant root. In one scene, someone is ramming steel rods into the sand, presumably to provoke such a strik

I haven't read up on it...... How did the guy supposedly eek a living out of this?

Was he selling these things as sculptures/art or something?

Last edited:
Yes, exactly, as art/sculpture. Being the strikes on damp sand are particularly conducive to fulgurite formation, and being mindful that the bulk outward appearance especially when dug up has nothing to do with the internal structure, I think art could be made this way. It'd take years to find out unless someone's done it before, I'm not lookin it up right now =)

Last edited:
How did the guy supposedly eek a living out of this?

Was he selling these things as sculptures/art or something?

**broken link removed**

Edit: I read down further in Micksters post and they were talking about how it could be used to prevent erosion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back