Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The sociopathic electrical engineer: what's wrong with him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But he may have the potential to change :)

Must be a positron as he doesn't mix well with others.

Edit, seems my friend in the UK looked up sociopath and decided I fit the criteria on all points. Her loss!!!

Mike.

does he have a short in his temper?

And here I was expecting this thread to be about a member of the forum. :(

Oh.. English is a second language to me. I understand the puns, but can't write any of my own.. makes me sad.

Who o-pun-ed this thread to punish us with puns? Doth they pine for puns and oak about it. Best to leaf it alone and branch out. Off topic... switched to trees. Need to get back to the shocking behaviour of the engineer who had neither a positive nor negative charge to his personality.

Post deleted. Was looking funny and all.....but not in my character.

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
Hi,

Are you guys really this bored to talk about this? :)

Hi MrAl

This forum is VERY quite....

How is the light testing doing?

Hi tvtech,

Yes a little more quiet than usual.
I havent worked on the light yet because i had other things to do. Lots of running around today, etc. There are so many more important things ahead of it. I may actually build another one from scratch. We've talked about another type in another thread too and that got me interested in doing another one based on a lead acid battery. That would provide light for a long time too not just a few hours but DAYS or maybe even a couple weeks.

No sweat MrAl

Stay well. Let me know what you decide to do.......sealed Lead Acid is not the answer though.....takes way too long to charge.

Really gotta go now
tvtech

No sweat MrAl

Stay well. Let me know what you decide to do.......sealed Lead Acid is not the answer though.....takes way too long to charge.

Really gotta go now
tvtech

Hi there,

We are talking about an emergency light right? One that comes on only when the power goes out due to some external failure outside the home. That means the light would be off for most of the time, like weeks/months at a time, which gives it plenty of time to charge. Then if the power goes out due to a storm in the area or something, then the light comes on. I've seen emergency lights that have lead acid built in, but that was the 6v size cells around 4 Ampere hour. I intended to go higher than that like 12v, 7Ahr min so that there would be plenty of run time if the power went down. The charge algorithm could be very gentle on the battery too, like charge once every three months (unless the power goes out of course and then it would charge some short time after the power came back on).

Hi there,

We are talking about an emergency light right? One that comes on only when the power goes out due to some external failure outside the home. That means the light would be off for most of the time, like weeks/months at a time, which gives it plenty of time to charge. Then if the power goes out due to a storm in the area or something, then the light comes on. I've seen emergency lights that have lead acid built in, but that was the 6v size cells around 4 Ampere hour. I intended to go higher than that like 12v, 7Ahr min so that there would be plenty of run time if the power went down. The charge algorithm could be very gentle on the battery too, like charge once every three months (unless the power goes out of course and then it would charge some short time after the power came back on).

Hi MrAl

The little light I designed is for South African conditions. My third PCB revision should arrive in around 2 Weeks. All previous PCB's/units are still working even after real life testing. Just improving them every step of the way.. The latest board is much smaller and safer than my original.

Criteria:

1. Must be able to charge the battery fitted fully within 3 Hours when the battery is completely flat.
2. Must be able to handle a Generators ups and downs.
3. Must be able to sustain a 1 Minute extended surge from the Electricity/Grid provider....rated @ 220VAC...can handle/tested @395AC for 1 Minute.
4. Must provide light ALWAYS...even when charging a completely flat battery.
5. Leave it on Mains permanently if you want to. Forget about it. It will still be working when all else is blown up after a bad electricity day.
6. All this must be roughly the size of box of 20 cigarettes....fits in the top pocket of your shirt.

And yes, it uses a little PP3 :D

Runtime Criteria

1. Must last through the night (12 Hours) so kids...or adults can find the toilet...and not Pee in a cupboard :eek: (Night light)
2. Must be able to run for @ least 2 Hours with Maximum brightness....So people using Candles would rather choose my product to read and study and learn....instead of burning all down because they fall asleep

Best regards.
tvtech

Sounds like a small universal SMPS with a 180 - 500 VAC input connected to a lithium based battery a few high brightness LED's would be the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back