Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

storing energy to a capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
Why is it impossible. I think you are wrong. Maybe if I use a low power 555 I may use the energy in the cap to build a monoshot circuit?

You can use the energy stored to do anything you want (if it's high enough), what you can't do is use it to power itself - that's perpetual motion and completely impossible.

But as you're so completely vague about everything, we can only guess at what you're trying to do - and invariably in such cases it's something pretty silly.

it's absolutely impossible
Agreed. Any waveshape conversion will involve inevitable losses.
The only process I'm aware of which comes close to 100% efficiency is the conversion of electrical energy to heat.

Last edited:
You can use the energy stored to do anything you want (if it's high enough), what you can't do is use it to power itself - that's perpetual motion and completely impossible.

But as you're so completely vague about everything, we can only guess at what you're trying to do - and invariably in such cases it's something pretty silly.

After the energy is stored in the cap my circuit will output(after a certain delay to be chosen) a single rectangular pulse containing the energy stored in the cap.
I know that not all of the energy stored initially in my cap will be available inside my rectangular pulse but at least some of it.
So where am I vague. I don't think I could be clear more than that.

Agreed. Any waveshape conversion will involve inevitable losses.
The only process I'm aware of which comes close to 100% efficiency is the conversion of electrical energy to heat.

As I said I am aware that not all of the energy stored in the cap will be available in my rectangular pulse but at least some of it.
My question is what components do I need to output a pulse after a delay for example of 1 second.

Why is it impossible. I think you are wrong. Maybe if I use a low power 555 I may use the energy in the cap to build a monoshot circuit?
I'm willing to be proved wrong. Perhaps you'd try that and let us know how you get on?
My question is what components do I need to output a pulse after a delay for example of 1 second
Standard 555 timer components (see.e.g. the timer circuits on this site). But they will dissipate energy.

Last edited:
After the energy is stored in the cap my circuit will output(after a certain delay to be chosen) a single rectangular pulse containing the energy stored in the cap.
I know that not all of the energy stored initially in my cap will be available inside my rectangular pulse but at least some of it.

You're vague about the source of the energy, and what you're wanting to do with the pulse - BOTH of which make a huge difference.

Hi again,

Ok this problem is becoming more clear as time goes on :)
Part of the confusion was in the waveshape that was posted, which clearly shows a VOLTAGE waveform, and there is no limit to how much energy a voltage can produce. Later, we found that there was a series resistance but that combined with the voltage source and a capacitor meant that we would loose half the energy just in the transfer alone without even going any farther, which started to make this project's goal look rather bleak.

Now finally we are getting the full story. It's not a voltage source per se it is a coil that produces energy based on the generator effect when something magnetic passes by. This is entirely different than just a voltage source this is a physical device that produces energy. This allows us to model the energy producer to some extent and come up with a theory of how this HAS to work. We can later render that theory into a practical circuit that will behave similar to theory but with some losses.

The theory of operation would go like this:
The coil is modeled as an inductor with some initial energy storage. At t=0 we want to start to transfer that energy to another storage device in a form which would allow us to again transfer the energy to a third as yet unspecified device. But since the original question called for storage into a capacitor and assuming this is adequate for now, we'll go with the capacitor storage and leave the rest for later.

The first problem we encounter is that if the coil is connected directly to the capacitor the current goes negative and this will act to reduce the energy stored into the capacitor, so the coil current has to be rectified first. Eric's circuit accounted for this already as he was able to see past all the confusion about the 'voltage' source :)
Once rectified, most of the energy will transfer to the capacitor because it is being converted from a current source to a voltage source, ie a true power conversion, and a true power conversion allows high efficiency. The only remaining problems then are the devices that will be used to accomplish this should still have as low resistance as possible to prevent high energy absorption. To get low loss we would like to be able to use a synchronous rectifier so another question that comes up here is how often will the coil contain energy, that is, how often is it energized.
Eric's solution was to use a transformer instead which makes the voltage drops of the rectifiers look less significant, and a transformer is a true power converter so we would see only the loss of the transformer. That's not too bad, but i wonder what kind of transformer we would be able to design to be able to handle this kind of signal without requiring excessive startup current and be able to handle the very low frequency required. Perhaps Eric can come up with a solution for this.
In any case, we need power for generating the output pulse (although we still dont know what kind of pulse this is to be) so we need energy storage for the circuit as well as for the output pulse. This is a little more difficult but if we can tap off some of the energy we can use it to run the circuit and make the circuit as efficient as possible for low loss. We might also use some of this energy to run the synchronous rectifiers.
It would also help to use a double coil, where the coil was wound bifilar with a center tap. This would reduce the required rectifiers to 2 and thus avoid another rectifier voltage drop.

We would also need to know what kind of device this energy is to be transferred to. "Energy in the form of a pulse" has to be specified as either current or voltage or power.

So in the end we see this is not that much different from a transformer. The transformer transforms energy from one form to another and although it has some loss it still provides a much needed functionality.

Last edited:
Hi again,

Ok this problem is becoming more clear as time goes on :)
Part of the confusion was in the waveshape that was posted, which clearly shows a VOLTAGE waveform, and there is no limit to how much energy a voltage can produce. Later, we found that there was a series resistance but that combined with the voltage source and a capacitor meant that we would loose half the energy just in the transfer alone without even going any farther, which started to make this project's goal look rather bleak.

Now finally we are getting the full story. It's not a voltage source per se it is a coil that produces energy based on the generator effect when something magnetic passes by. This is entirely different than just a voltage source this is a physical device that produces energy. This allows us to model the energy producer to some extent and come up with a theory of how this HAS to work. We can later render that theory into a practical circuit that will behave similar to theory but with some losses.

The theory of operation would go like this:
The coil is modeled as an inductor with some initial energy storage. At t=0 we want to start to transfer that energy to another storage device in a form which would allow us to again transfer the energy to a third as yet unspecified device. But since the original question called for storage into a capacitor and assuming this is adequate for now, we'll go with the capacitor storage and leave the rest for later.

The first problem we encounter is that if the coil is connected directly to the capacitor the current goes negative and this will act to reduce the energy stored into the capacitor, so the coil current has to be rectified first. Eric's circuit accounted for this already as he was able to see past all the confusion about the 'voltage' source :)
Once rectified, most of the energy will transfer to the capacitor because it is being converted from a current source to a voltage source, ie a true power conversion, and a true power conversion allows high efficiency. The only remaining problems then are the devices that will be used to accomplish this should still have as low resistance as possible to prevent high energy absorption. To get low loss we would like to be able to use a synchronous rectifier so another question that comes up here is how often will the coil contain energy, that is, how often is it energized.
Eric's solution was to use a transformer instead which makes the voltage drops of the rectifiers look less significant, and a transformer is a true power converter so we would see only the loss of the transformer. That's not too bad, but i wonder what kind of transformer we would be able to design to be able to handle this kind of signal without requiring excessive startup current and be able to handle the very low frequency required. Perhaps Eric can come up with a solution for this.
In any case, we need power for generating the output pulse (although we still dont know what kind of pulse this is to be) so we need energy storage for the circuit as well as for the output pulse. This is a little more difficult but if we can tap off some of the energy we can use it to run the circuit and make the circuit as efficient as possible for low loss. We might also use some of this energy to run the synchronous rectifiers.
It would also help to use a double coil, where the coil was wound bifilar with a center tap. This would reduce the required rectifiers to 2 and thus avoid another rectifier voltage drop.

We would also need to know what kind of device this energy is to be transferred to. "Energy in the form of a pulse" has to be specified as either current or voltage or power.

So in the end we see this is not that much different from a transformer. The transformer transforms energy from one form to another and although it has some loss it still provides a much needed functionality.

Things are getting very exciting now and I am learning new things. Is there a difference between a voltage source with an output impedance and a coil that has stored energy in the form of a voltage across it?

How can I model the coil then?

You said that energy is transferred from a current source to a voltage source so all the energy will be transferred aproximately. Please explain?

I still think we're all blindly guessing :D - but to give a pulse based on the charge stored on a capacitor how about the standard beam robotics solar engine?.

Thanks for the link. This circuit you are referring to is great but I can only see one problem.The cap only discharges with a narrow voltage range( 2.7 to 2.4 volts). How can I make the cap discharge to 0 volts ?

Thanks for the link. This circuit you are referring to is great but I can only see one problem.The cap only discharges with a narrow voltage range( 2.7 to 2.4 volts). How can I make the cap discharge to 0 volts ?

You can't to zero volts, but you could presumably use two transistors wired as a uni-junction to discharge to a low level.

However, why do you want to discharge to zero, it means larger pulses but far less often - the difference is too small to care about.

You can't to zero volts, but you could presumably use two transistors wired as a uni-junction to discharge to a low level.

However, why do you want to discharge to zero, it means larger pulses but far less often - the difference is too small to care about.

Do you mean cancelling the 1381 and putting a unijunction transistor?

Discharging to zero volts since I am looking for all the energy stored in the cap.

Discharging to zero volts since I am looking for all the energy stored in the cap.
You can't get right to zero volts because energy can only be extracted if there is a flow of current from the cap to an external device; and that would require the voltage of the external device to be negative. The negative voltage would require another power source, which you say you don't want.

You can't get right to zero volts because energy can only be extracted if there is a flow of current from the cap to an external device; and that would require the voltage of the external device to be negative. The negative voltage would require another power source, which you say you don't want.

Yes I understanenrd that I can't reach 0 volts so I will look for a way to suck the maximum possible energy from the cap.

MrAl asked if the pulse was a current pulse or a voltage pulse. I think this has something to do with it?

Things are getting very exciting now and I am learning new things. Is there a difference between a voltage source with an output impedance and a coil that has stored energy in the form of a voltage across it?

How can I model the coil then?

You said that energy is transferred from a current source to a voltage source so all the energy will be transferred aproximately. Please explain?

Hi,

Yes there is a difference. A voltage source can produce infinite power while a coil can not.

The model of the coil would be an inductor with some series resistance, and with some initial current (not voltage) at the beginning of the time period.

Energy doesnt really have any shape so you cant output a "pulse of energy". You can output a pulse of current or a pulse of voltage. How that energy is absorbed depends on the load. You have to figure out what kind of circuit you want to use to output this pulse and what kind it shall be. That depends on what you intend the load to be.

When the energy changes form it transfers more efficiently. A switching regulator changes the energy from a voltage source to a current source with the inductor, then back to a voltage source. It's possible to get 95 percent efficiency in this manner.
A transformer changes the energy from a voltage and current into a magnetic field, then back to a voltage and current. The efficiency is high again as the energy is transformed from one type to another and back again.

So another question that comes up is:
How much control over the construction of the coil do you have, like can you add a secondary winding for example?

What did you want to use this energy for anyway after it is stored?

Last edited:
Hi,

Yes there is a difference. A voltage source can produce infinite power while a coil can not.

The model of the coil would be an inductor with some series resistance, and with some initial current (not voltage) at the beginning of the time period.

Energy doesnt really have any shape so you cant output a "pulse of energy". You can output a pulse of current or a pulse of voltage. How that energy is absorbed depends on the load. You have to figure out what kind of circuit you want to use to output this pulse and what kind it shall be. That depends on what you intend the load to be.

When the energy changes form it transfers more efficiently. A switching regulator changes the energy from a voltage source to a current source with the inductor, then back to a voltage source. It's possible to get 95 percent efficiency in this manner.
A transformer changes the energy from a voltage and current into a magnetic field, then back to a voltage and current. The efficiency is high again as the energy is transformed from one type to another and back again.

So another question that comes up is:
How much control over the construction of the coil do you have, like can you add a secondary winding for example?

What did you want to use this energy for anyway after it is stored?

Hi,
No I don't have control over the construction of the coil. So I think I will try to use a transformer. I just want to figure out what should the value of the primary and secondary windings be in milli henry?

I have not yet considered how I will use the source so my new question will be what componenets do I need for generating a current pulse or a voltage pulse?

Thanks for brightening my mind!!

Hi,

Part of what determines the number of turns and the core area is the frequency of operation. What time scale do you have to go with that drawing in the very first post in this thread, is that about 14 seconds long?

Lets start with a voltage pulse. To do that, you would use a one shot timer and maybe pass transistor. You might be able to use a CMOS timer and MOSFET transistor. But there's still no guarantee that the external load will absorb all the energy. Perhaps now would be a good time to figure out what you are going to use that output energy for.

Do you mean cancelling the 1381 and putting a unijunction transistor?

No, using a unijunction type latch circuit fed from the 1381 to stay latched ON until the supply is discharged (as much as possible).

Again, it seems a silly requirement - you will get most of the energy stored out, but in small pulses more frequently.

Hi,

Part of what determines the number of turns and the core area is the frequency of operation. What time scale do you have to go with that drawing in the very first post in this thread, is that about 14 seconds long?

Lets start with a voltage pulse. To do that, you would use a one shot timer and maybe pass transistor. You might be able to use a CMOS timer and MOSFET transistor. But there's still no guarantee that the external load will absorb all the energy. Perhaps now would be a good time to figure out what you are going to use that output energy for.

The time of all the waveform is about 20 msec. I prefer the CMOS timer since it will draw much less current?

Ok suppose I want to make 20 leds flash together in parallel. I want to learn the concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back