Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

starting software programming

Status
Not open for further replies.
**broken link removed**
As I suggested earlier a person learning to program needs a book or tutorial aimed at the first time programmer. This is not.

This section contains a brief introduction to the C language. It is intended as a tutorial on the language, and aims at getting a reader new to C started as quickly as possible. It is certainly not intended as a substitute for any of the numerous textbooks on C.

Use code:blocks and gcc as suggested by misterT
If you are using Windows, then codeblocks is probably the best choice. Download and install "codeblocks-10.05mingw-setup.exe" from Download binary
It should set up gcc and everything else for you.

Some tutorials and texts will have you using C++'s cout function instead of the more traditional C functions. That is OK for for now. When you want to transition to micro controllers we can help you with that.

If you need traditi9on C IO now we can make that happen to. It is mostly a matter of including stdio.h instead of the C++ io header file.

I am still looking for a good online C tutorial that teaches C as a first language. You may end up needing an actual book.

A tutorial/text for first time programmers will explain in great detail how various language components are used to solve problems etc. One written for people who know how to program mostly provide the syntax, give an example and point out the quirks.

Hey u don´t even know if you are going to like this .
Go to the C tutorial above and write a first program as it suggests and compile it and run it
You will learn a lot from just that .
Develop out from there

Watch out though -everywhere on the net are people trying to push u toward microsoft´s rubbish- that´s how they make big money
Go that way if u wish but get a basic understanding first I say

I´m into Linux / Unix Python programming and I think this is the path of the future. It is being built into more and more devices as firmware. Linux is used in MP3 players , Satellite boxes , TV´s ,smart cards etc etc
Here´s an article that tosses it about somewhat
https://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Linux---The-New-Hot-Job-Skill-67789.html?wlc=1249590495

A very useful learning tool is the Arduino microprocessor which uses C and u write the program with a free software tool supplied which is an IDE (Integrated Development Environment) and then push it on to the chip and then run the chip. Worth a look too but you have to buy a few bits and pieces first , maybe from ¨adafruit¨ or ¨Sparkfun¨ google them up

There is a section for Arduino on this board too
or here
**broken link removed**

I´ve not worked it through yet but I reckon somehow microsoft must pay these guys to push their garbage on any unsuspecting young up and coming. Stick with the open source which means FREE

Last edited:
tytower said:
Watch out though -everywhere on the net are people trying to push u toward microsoft´s rubbish- that´s how they make big money
Go that way if u wish but get a basic understanding first I say
Yeah it is real sneaky of MS to let us use their IDE's and compilers for free.

Last edited:

How .Net is rubbish? Quite common solution is to run virtual windows server on a Linux platform. This way it is possible to get the reliability of Linux and the power of Microsoft .Net framework and development tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back