Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Star Trek Phaser modifications (LED Sequencer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedPhoenix32

Im trying to modify my old Playmates Star Trek: First Contact toy phaser so it works like the prop they use on set. I don't know how to make the sequencer used in it, and haven't found good enough instructions. Can someone help?

Here's a link to a vid that is related to the topic: YouTube - Playmates First Contact phaser - Star Trek prop

Im currently in the process of repairing a speaker inside, so I cant post a picture.

It's probably a trade secret, better to design your own.

Look, all Im trying to do is wire together a sequencer that works with two push buttons. Like so:

Press one button, and a light comes on. Press it again, and another turns on. The first light remains lit. Push the other button, and one light turns off. Keep on pushing that same button to turn them all off.

I would guess the sound you hear on the actual Star Trek program is an added 'sound effect' and the prop makes no noise at all.

I agree with Bill, a small pic chip. But you will need a pic programmer. Did you try to google it, someone must have done this as big as the show was. I think the sound is added as well, as they are always easy to hear to matter how far they were from the cameras.

I can take care of the sound by just getting a small buzzer. Simply pressing the button will set it off. Is there a specific micro controller I need? I'm also gonna get help from my physics teacher with this, so all I need is a shopping list so to speak. I already got the LEDs down.

maybe this will help
PCB Heaven
look at the chapters on LED/clever button. the site has videos showing what happens.
sequencing LEDs using a micro-controler is pretty easy BUT you need to be able to program a micro-controller.

Okay, thanks. I found the little book on micro controllers, so that's good. Now does anyone know what particular chip that would be and if I could buy it at a radioshack, perhaps?

Radio Shack no. Digikey will have all the parts you need. They carry programmers, microchips (PIC, AVR) I use PICs. The bargraph LED arrays. It's a fair learning curve ahead but the good news is most peoples first program is flashing an LED.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back