Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stabilized Monitor Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krumlink

I was given a huge box of old dead computer stuff with more coming. I have:

8 keyboards
10 mouses
1 monitor

I can get up to 100 more keyboards, a ton of mouses and 40 complete monitor and tower parts. While taking apart the first Monitor (kept one hand behind my back, thank you hero lol, your my hero) i shorted everything out through a ground wire that led to a copper pipe outside buried in the yard. I accidently broke what i think is the cathode ray tube. I am scared now that it could leak some kind of poisonous gas, so I am kinda nervous. Any help? What to grab out of it and how do i clean it up? Please help me!!!!!

Cathode ray tubes contain "a deadly gas" that will kill everbody on earth if it is released.

That's funny, I am still alive and so are you. The deadly gas must be a myth and you can read all about the vacuum inside a CRT in Google.

I googled it and its a vacuum. Whew. WHat parts should I pull out of it?

I meant "I am afraid that it COULD leak some kind of gas" come on be nice!

WHat parts should I pull out of it?

There is phosphor in the CRT. Don’t eat it.
In the CRT cathode there is a very tiny amount of radioactive material.
CRT monitors have some items on the “bad” list but the amounts are very small. Now days tin/led solder is a no-no.

Get the flyback transformers out of the monitors, you can have all kinds of high voltage fun with them. Its the largest component besides the tube ( it has a heavy wire running to the tube with a suction cup covering the connection). There are alot of other usable parts from the monitor and main board too( caps,transistors, small transformers, diodes, IC's, heat sinks ect).

Get some power supplies from the towers and there are some cool motors in the drives( CD rom).
Laser diode and optics, gears, micro switches, springs ect ect.

sam

Last edited:
yea save the flyback, it's simple high voltage for frying the rest of the monitors circuit! just be careful if you think you broke the crt tube, it could implode!!

I read the warning on the monitor tube, it says it could implode. I broke the small glass neck containing the electron guns. Any more help would be greatly appreciated.

ALSO: Be honest! Dont start Telling me all this fake **** then when I go do it I get hurt or somthing, so dont be a jerk and think its funny, because 25Kv across the heart isnt funny. (EVEN THOUGH I DE-SHOKED IT ALL)

Last edited:
Krumlink said:
I read the warning on the monitor tube, it says it could implode. I broke the small glass neck containing the electron guns. Any more help would be greatly appreciated.

ALSO: Be honest! Dont start Telling me all this fake **** then when I go do it I get hurt or somthing, so dont be a jerk and think its funny, because 25Kv across the heart isnt funny. (EVEN THOUGH I DE-SHOKED IT ALL)

hi,
When the CRT warning says it could implode, it means just that, you were lucky in just snapping the tube neck! Dont breath the phospor dust.

If you break the CRT cone area it will implode and you will be picking bits of glass from your nether regions and other parts of your body.....
this is NOT a joke.

I have seen CRT's shoot out glass shards over a 5 mtr radius.

If you have removed the CRT's and want to scrap the them, speak to a local TV service engineer, he should be able to tell you where to take them for safe disposal.... Keep them in an locked outbuilding, face down on an old blanket.

If you are unsure if a certain point is electrically charged, use an insulated piece of wire, bared at both ends,,,, touch one end to the chassis and the other end to the point you want to ground.

Eric

Whew, I unclipped all the wires SAFELY after grounding the entire thing to, er ground. I then Safely tipped the CRT on the ground and made sure everything was unclipped. I will post some pictures later. My local TV repairman is a really nice guy, and he teaches me little nic nacs about stuff of all sorts. Thanks alot Eric!

Krumlink said:
Whew, I unclipped all the wires SAFELY after grounding the entire thing to, er ground. I then Safely tipped the CRT on the ground and made sure everything was unclipped. I will post some pictures later. My local TV repairman is a really nice guy, and he teaches me little nic nacs about stuff of all sorts. Thanks alot Eric!

Hi,
>> Whew, I unclipped all the wires SAFELY after grounding the entire thing to, er ground
When the monitor is unplugged from the mains, actual Ground is not mother earth...
In most cases its the metal chassis which is the ground for shorting too.

Some capacitors maybe not ground/chassis referenced, in those cases, short across the cap with the wire link.

Eric

I just called my local TV repair Guy and he said that there are no laws or standards on disposing of CRTs. I could just throw it in the garbage. Michigan tends to lag behind on laws like this, although we are one of the few specializing on human embryo testing. Michigan's economy is the worst in the USA. The Big 3, GM Ford and Chrystler are suffering badly and closing plants all over the state. The gov is too worried about the auto industry to care about CRTs.

I took it to my garbage can and put a note saying: WARNING: DANGEROUS CONTENTS, BE CAREFUL

I don't know if I would put a note like that on it..... Its gonna look like theres somthing really bad in there....

Up until last July here in MN you could just throw away a tv or CRT moniter. Now they have to be recycled properly.
I remember a garbage truck driver telling me one time how big TVs would make the whole truck shake when the compactor crushed them. lol

I have found keyboard have nothing of value in them.
Computer mice have very little. IR leds and micro switches is about it, unless you have a use for the cord.
Computer towers have the power supply, but I have 4 or 5 and still haven't found a good use for them, so I have stopped saving them for now. Harddrives have those cool magnets, but you spend like a year getting to them.
Moniters seem to vary a bit on whats worth saving and how easy it is to get out.

Andy1845c said:
I don't know if I would put a note like that on it..... Its gonna look like theres somthing really bad in there....

Exactly, it's quite possible they will refuse to take it!.

You've softened the tube, so it's not a hazard now.

All our old TV's go in the back of the dustbin lorry - we don't even soften the tubes now, because the bin men like the bangs as they get crushed and the CRT implodes! :D

Laws in the UK are getting stricter - but the stupid thing is most of the time the council don't even recycle the items you carefully seperate for them. My friend lives over the county border in Nottinghamshire, and they have to seperate rubbish into 5 or 6 seperate containers for recycling - there are even inspectors going round checking and issuing fines!.

He watched the bin men one day, and they just came along with a bin lorry and chucked everything in the back - so he asked how they recycled it?, and why was he carefully seperating it?. He was told it's just taken across the border to Derbyshire, and dumped in landfill there - the fact it's put out seperately by the customer, and not dumped in their own county, meets all government targets for recycling!.

Jumping Jiminny you live in Michigan. This is America! We take picture tubes out back on the farm or to the gun range and shoot them. You have enough bridges spanning across the waterways that you could toss it over the railing and eventually create a mini-reef for aquatic life.

As for tossing it at the curb, just call your refuse hauler company to see if they have any stipulations on CRTs. My hauler doesn't have any rules, whether it's in a cabinet, loose, or still under vacuum.

Its still a vacuum, because I broke only the electron gun housing, not the CRT. If It HAD broke the CRT seal too, I would have shards everywhere because of the implosion

Krumlink said:
why diddnt the monitor implode though?

As suggested there's no vacuum inside it anymore, because you broke the neck - it's all in one piece.

The reason it didn't implode is because you broke the very thin glass of the neck - the 'proper' way is actually to knock the very pip off the end of the neck, where if you do it carefully the CRT hisses as it slowly fills with air over a few seconds (nice and safely). It's breaking the thick glass of the main 'bulb' which usually causes the implosion - although breaking the neck (like you did) may cause it in VERY exceptional circustances.

BTW - I've broken a LOT!!!! of CRT's over the years :p

Lol I broke off the circuit board mounted to the electron gun housing. I heard the hissing noise and everything. Yay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back