Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Square Wave Frequency Doubler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davepusey

Is there such a circuit as a "Square Wave Frequency Doubler"? I have a square wave of fixed frequency and i need to double it. I.e. the current frequency is 0.5Hz and i need to convert it to 1Hz. How can this be done?

If yes, where can i find it?
If no, does anyone know of a way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

And to convert it back to square wave simply use circuit with
histeresis like schmidt trigger...

Russlk said:
If you differentiate the square wave (put it thru a high pass filter), then full wave rectify the resultant AC, you will have doubled the frequency.

no technobable please.

davepusey said:
Russlk said:
If you differentiate the square wave (put it thru a high pass filter), then full wave rectify the resultant AC, you will have doubled the frequency.

no technobable please.

It wasn't 'technobabble', it's actually quite simple. However, I think you probably need to mention what you are trying to do - the above method, though simple and effective, may not work for your purposes.

Im sure you can do with a rising-edge triggered d-type a falling-edge d-type and an XOR gate + maybe some extra logic.

hang on ill see if it csn be done that way

well not far off

found this

**broken link removed**

davepusey said:
Is there such a circuit as a "Square Wave Frequency Doubler"? I have a square wave of fixed frequency and i need to double it. I.e. the current frequency is 0.5Hz and i need to convert it to 1Hz. How can this be done?

If yes, where can i find it?
If no, does anyone know of a way to do this?

Thanks in advance.
The ideas proposed will only work if your "square wave" is truly square, i.e., 50% duty cycle. If it is not, you will need a phaselocked loop. Is your square wave actually square?

Ron H said:
The ideas proposed will only work if your "square wave" is truly square, i.e., 50% duty cycle. If it is not, you will need a phaselocked loop. Is your square wave actually square?

Yes. 50% duty cycle.

Styx said:
well not far off

found this

**broken link removed**

Yeah that circuit looks great. but what is the HC86 box thing and what are the pin connections shown?

Code:
                        +-------+
                        | hc86  |
            +-----------+       |
  clkin ----+           |       +--- clkout = 2*clkin
            +-N-R-+-N---+       |
                  |     |       |
                  C     +-------+
                  |
                 gnd

where N is a NOT gate (hc04?)
      R is a 10k resistor
      C is a 47pf capacitor.

davepusey said:
Styx said:
well not far off

found this

**broken link removed**

Yeah that circuit looks great. but what is the HC86 box thing and what are the pin connections shown?

Code:
                        +-------+
                        | hc86  |
            +-----------+       |
  clkin ----+           |       +--- clkout = 2*clkin
            +-N-R-+-N---+       |
                  |     |       |
                  C     +-------+
                  |
                 gnd

where N is a NOT gate (hc04?)
      R is a 10k resistor
      C is a 47pf capacitor.

Never mind... it's an XOR... **broken link removed**

Sorry :oops:

This circuit works fine.

Attachments

• 4538.gif
    4538.gif
    9.3 KB · Views: 2,571
hey, i'm also looking for a frequency doubler, i had a look at that circuit and i got a few questions. the CD4528, is that just draw in two pieces when it's actually one and also if i put say, 2Hz on the input, on the output would i just get double the frequency and what the input and outputs are, thanks

davepusey said:
no technobable please.
If you don't understand what someone says, try Googling for some of the keywords in their post you don't understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back