Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Source for copper 1/4 - 20 bolts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

motolectric

Hi,

I'm looking for a quantity of 1/4-20 copper bolts and matching nuts. They could be the metric equivalent as long as I can get the matching nuts.

Does anyone know of a source for a ready-made copper bolt/nut with about .4 inch of threads. Total length including hex head needs to be about .6 inches.

Thanks for any advice or tips.

M./

Attachments

• copper.sized.JPG
    copper.sized.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 532
Last edited:
Hi,

I'm looking for a quantity of 1/4-20 copper bolts and matching nuts. They could be the metric equivalent as long as I can get the matching nuts.

Does anyone know of a source for a ready-made copper bolt/nut with about .4 inch of threads. Total length including hex head needs to be about .6 inches.

Thanks for any advice or tips.

M./

hi,
We dont know your location.?

Google for: copper nuts and bolts

**broken link removed**

Here about there is an industrial bolt and nut distributor called "Bolt and Nut Supply":) Just look in the Yellow Pages under "fasterners".

hi,
We dont know your location.?

Google for: copper nuts and bolts

**broken link removed**

Thanks, USA, Calif. And I have been all over Google (extensively) and have not found any suppliers other than India and China. It seems that copper bolts (other than split shaft grounding bolts) are a very specialized item. I posted because I thought someone might know of a niche field that uses copper bolts that I could tap into.

Was hoping to keep my money in the USA if possible.

I have a guy who will custom machine the fasteners for me but for now I was hoping to find a supplier who had some ready made for my prototype and testing. The custom minimums are kinda high.

Thanks,

M./

Last edited:
The problem you will have is without specifying a specific Copper Alloy as in 101, 102, 110, 122, 145 etc. you will have a hard time finding or having copper nuts and bolts made let alone off the shelf. Hard Drawn or Soft Drawn and the list goes on. Generally for electrical work most applications or designs lean toward the use of brass as brass nuts, bolts and washers (flat and locking) are readily available from suppliers like McMaster Carr Supply.

Just my take...
Ron

The problem you will have is without specifying a specific Copper Alloy as in 101, 102, 110, 122, 145 etc. you will have a hard time finding or having copper nuts and bolts made let alone off the shelf. Hard Drawn or Soft Drawn and the list goes on. Generally for electrical work most applications or designs lean toward the use of brass as brass nuts, bolts and washers (flat and locking) are readily available from suppliers like McMaster Carr Supply.

Just my take...
Ron

Yes, I may have to go that way with brass but I am trying to (want to) claim I have a copper to copper circuit and so I'm trying to get that last 2%. The circuit I'm replacing uses tinned steel (10% of the current flow vs. copper) and tinned brass (26% flow vs. copper) as their terminals. I will probably have to bite the bullet and have the fasteners machined up. We were going to use 101. I have to fit my custom terminal over the OEM tinned steel and so the current is flowing though the OEM chokepoint unless I use copper fasteners in which case the current will flow from the battery terminal through the fastener to my terminal and I have copper to copper from the pos to the neg of the battery. More of a "pride of product" than anything else. But if I build a good rapport with the end-user I feel they will do more business with me for other kits (which are housed in black boxes where you can't see the quality). So the copper bolts are to establish that I do it right.

Thanks,

M.

Thanks for the feedback.

If you are close to the coast you can try a marine supply house, they typically use copper, brass, and stainless fasteners

Copper bolt to copper nut is going to be a pretty much one time deal. Copper will galled to it's self when under force like threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back