Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sounder cct. using a 555 timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomcwood

I need to design a sounder cct. that changes the pitch of the tone over an inpu range of 0-5v. At present I am using a 555 timer and controlling the frequency of output by applying the a controlling voltage to pin 5. However this does not produce a wide enough range of output frequencies for the application it is required for. Any ideas on how I could increase the range of frequencies available? Processing using a PIC16f877 is an option.

The cct. is for use within an altimeter project and the tone is needed to give an indication of whether the user is rising or falling. It needs to audibly vary over a range of 300ft.

tomcwood said:
I need to design a sounder cct. that changes the pitch of the tone over an inpu range of 0-5v. At present I am using a 555 timer and controlling the frequency of output by applying the a controlling voltage to pin 5. However this does not produce a wide enough range of output frequencies for the application it is required for. Any ideas on how I could increase the range of frequencies available? Processing using a PIC16f877 is an option.

The cct. is for use within an altimeter project and the tone is needed to give an indication of whether the user is rising or falling. It needs to audibly vary over a range of 300ft.

You could use the 8 pin PIC12F675, this has the same 10 bit A2D as the 16F877. Read the analogue input voltage and generate an audio tone according to the voltage.

Using the 555 as V/F converter

An 8-pin micro with onboard A/D is a good solution. If there's already a micro (without A/D) in your system, it makes sense to at least use it for doing conversions (pulse-width to frequency, for ex) if it helps simplify the input circuitry.

For whatever reasons (learning curve, overhead), some people prefer not to use micros, and a simple analog/digital circuit can often perform the function well enough. The question you asked is a good one, if only for curiosity. The 555 is often used to perform the opposite function ( frequency-to-voltage (F/V) converter or tachometer) when connected in monostable mode.

Pin 5 (fm) connects to the upper node of the resistive divider in the 555, and allows you to vary the internal 1/3 and 2/3 VCC trip points a little. It's only meant for modulation over a small range, as you've found. Look at the description of pin 5 **broken link removed**. To vary the output frequency over a large range, I'd bypass this pin to ground and look for another way besides "pulling" the internal trip points.

**broken link removed** circuit comes close to what you want. It varies the output pulse-width based on input voltage. It's simple but has some problems, one being the 5V floor on input voltage.

Other ideas: replacing the upper resistor (R1) in the standard astable configuration with a simple V/I converter could work. FET's are often used as voltage-controlled resistors. They have some disadvantages, such as non-linearity, but may work for your application. Also, take a look at circuit #10 in the first url. It's a related idea, but just replaces the upper resistor with a one-transistor constant-current source (charges the capacitor linearly rather than exponentially).

Here are a few other V/F and VCO circuits (not using the 555)

**broken link removed**

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2004/07/4584vco.pdf
(this one's a little cheezy, as it varies the supply voltage to the part to change oscillation frequency)

Finally, there are standard ICs that perform voltage to frequency conversion, like the LM331 and XR4151. Though most have been discontinued, you can still find them on the surplus market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back