Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solenoid valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr_Doggy

I bought this little guy, applied 12v to it and a 1hp sump pump. specs say it needs a few psi to open but i havnt had success , anyone have expirence with these things>?

The pump may not be primed. Try it with a garden hose.

They could be "Pilot operated" valves, where the solenoid open or closes a small port and fluid pressure through that operates the main valve.

I'd guess it's pilot operated. If so, the least bit of muck can prevent operation, so you'd need a well-filtered water supply. 3psi minimum corresponds to about a 6ft head of water. How deep is your sump?

I have used these in a bottling situation and found no problem, mine looks identical and are not pilot operated.
Do you have the PSI to operate?
You can get different versions, down to zero operating pressure.

Connected in the right flow direction ? Sounds obvious but we've had issues before with engineers hooking up valves the wrong way round.

I hope flow dir is correct, I was just going by a little arrow on the one side, no other flow indicators though.

water is fairly clean, and worried about the psi, no psi specs on pump, i am feeding from ground lvl sump up a 1.5" pipe lifting to about 12 ft, then it drops from 12ft to 8ft(from ground), and pipe reduces to 3/4", the fact that it makes it to 12ft im leaning twords it not being a pressure issue, but maybe.

Also just a update, i tried new power supply so i can rule that out, also i notice that when i engage pump, then activate solenoid i can hear air purge out of it, plus it turns out it is opening and closing. so when i close it (remove power) water does stop flowing, but when I open it there is a small trickle out of it. But Very small trickle.
so maybe just enough pressure to open it up a little? but there is no difference in trickle when i raise and drop the height by few feet.

I will try garden hose, but removing it from plumbing may be another challenge.

Also i note the pipe diameter looks smaller than the 3/4, I wonder if the valve is choking things,
I tried a 1/2" sump and it was able to provide flow in a 1" main and a full stream in each of 4x 1/2"tees at full flow (8ft frm grnd)

Maybe I select wrong valve? whats better alternative I can get cheap?

Last edited:
The one I acquired off ebay looks identical to the pic you posted and is rated at gravity feed and works fine with just a couple of head feet.

It states 3PSI needed to operate. Approximately 28" of head is needed per PSI so it needs about 84 inches (7 foot) of head to operate.

Mike.

I've got a couple of new, unused, 24V solenoid valves at work - but metal ones. As far as I'm aware they are simply open when you apply power to them, and you can blow through them.

We got them as an attempt for a cheaper alternative to the usual ones we use (£145+VAT) - only to find out they don't do what we want, so had to go back to the original expensive ones.

I've got a couple of new, unused, 24V solenoid valves at work - but metal ones. As far as I'm aware they are simply open when you apply power to them, and you can blow through them.

We got them as an attempt for a cheaper alternative to the usual ones we use (£145+VAT) - only to find out they don't do what we want, so had to go back to the original expensive ones.
Out of curiousity, what don't they do?

Mike.

The ones the OP shows come in several different operating pressures required to open, even when activated.
Not sure of what the reasons would be?

They don't create 'water hammer' in the pipes,
I have to ask, why did you want to deliberately cause "water Hammer" ?

Hammer effects are usually created when the fluid flow in the pipe stops abruptly.
This creates a pressure wave which is reflected back up the pipe, a bit like the hydraulic analogy of a time domain reflectometer.

I guess that your cheap valves did not stop the flow of water quickly enough.
As for your" valve guy" and his washers, I think you need a new valve guy.
Reducing the bore will reduce the flow through the valve and minimise the hammer effect.

JimB

OK, sounds interesting.

JimB

thanks, i think we are right about the presusre, im gonna get some grav feed , hopefully they work better.

Also Nigel , what not use a locate set?

Next im going to need to pump an acidic solution, about 16ft this time, I realize now i need a chem pump, any suggestion?
and what kind of tube is needed, will regular sch40 pipe still work, or my nylon hydro tubes?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back