Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Soldering iron station circut

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a relative simple soldering iron that has an LCD display, temperature feed back and temp preset then look over at PCB Heaven
Pretty easy circuit. I myself am build one but not comfortable with assy so going to try coming up with a code in Swordfish..

Hey Guys...I thought to post this wee bit of info just in case someone tries it....

I use a Magnum soldering station made right here in good old South Africa. Kicks Weller into touch as far as reliability and performance is concerned.

The only...and I mean the only thing with this type of Iron is never to try and run it on DC or from an Inverter. Why?. Cause the irons circuitry uses "zero crossing" technology to control tip temperature.

And as we all know, DC has no "zero cross" point. Cause it's DC. Same with inverters that simulate AC.

The Iron will work for a while connected to either DC or an Inverter and then will burn out as all temperature control will be missing and the element will literally self destruct.

Cheers

Hi there,

Thanks for the heads up.
My iron is a simple one with an element and that's it so i assume it can run on DC, although i havent tested to see if it can yet.

Hi there,

Thanks for the heads up.
My iron is a simple one with an element and that's it so i assume it can run on DC, although i havent tested to see if it can yet.

No problem buddy. My Magnum station is around 15 Years old now. On every working day from 8 to 5. Only replaced the element once (around three Months ago).

Weller gave me endless problems. And they are supposed to be the best....NAH.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I run into a small porblem with Reloadron's suggested circuit and here is a dumb question : so there is a 250k pot in parallel with a 180k resistor. Since there are no such a things as 250k pots (except for some expensive audio guitar pots), can I just use a 100k pot without parallel resistor.? According to my calculations if 250k potentiometers resistance is set to 0Ohm, their both (resistor parallel with pot) resistance should be roughly 0Ohm. But when pots resistance is full 250kOhm, their both resistance should be 1 / ((1 / 180) + (1 / 250)) = 104.651163kOhm . Although alone 100k pot and 180k + 250k pot min and max values are roughly the same, 100kOhm potentiometer would adjust resistance linearly not like 180k resistor parallel with 250k potentiometer. Does that affect something? I hope someone understood this none sense.

Last edited:
Hello there,

The incremental change in resistance of a 250k pot in parallel with a 180k resistor is a little different than a single 105k pot, but the 105k pot (which you will approximate by using a 100k pot) will still work. Because the incremental resistance is a little different, turning the pot may have a slightly different 'feel' to it as to how it affects the set point. Electrically it will still work though so you can use a 100k pot if you like. You'll still get the same range of resistances too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back