Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Social Media and cunsultant work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikebits

Awhile back some forum members mentioned that they would like to do consultant work, but was unsure how to go about such a task. It did not occur to me at the time but for some reason it remained in the back of mind.

I have been working with a non-profit org for some time now on the public relations (PR) end of things, this included building a website, search engine optimization and such. I had the opportunity to meet with top PR execs operating as volunteer consultants for non profit organizations. I learned many PR tricks at this meeting and one thing that was highly stressed was Social media and Social networking. This means signing up for sites like Twitter, Linkedin, Diggs,and Facebook to name a few. Linkedin is a really good one for posting work experience and what you do. These can all bolster your web presence.

You must also create a website, does not need to be complicated, but list your services and expertise. On this website you would add links to all your social media pages as this helps your Google search ranking.

Not an HTML expert? Not a problem, there are websites like Godaddy.com that offer pre designed web templates, no html required, just copy and paste your content into your template and publish.

With good social media, a relevant content website and you should make a good start at getting your name and product or service out there.

So, start your business plan and good luck to you future entrepreneurs.

Hope some find this post useful

And yes, I know I spelled consultant wrong in the title.

Last edited:
Gosh, thanks alot! Since being down sized, I've though alot of consulting. I just haven't really had any ideas about getting started. Being an old fart, I havent even checked out social network sites. Guess I better get on the ball with them! :rolleyes:

Gosh, thanks alot! Since being down sized, I've though alot of consulting. I just haven't really had any ideas about getting started. Being an old fart, I havent even checked out social network sites. Guess I better get on the ball with them! :rolleyes:

I made this post with you in mind Brownout. I would start with Linkdin even without a website.

Thanks again. I have to get out of the old "cubicle" thinking, and put myself out there. I have actually published several webpages, but none that are geared towards technical consulting. I know a web presence is going to be crutial if I want to pursue this as a new venture. I also know I need to start talking to people, making professional networks, and that sort of thing. I'm really a typical engineering type, shy and introverted. Time for me to grow out of that and get me some "people skills." Actually, web sites like this help alot, as I can have some interaction with other professionals and hobbists in a sort of safer way. I imagine those social websites would offer more of that, as well as being a good place to make professional contacts. I'll get started on that right away.

Last edited:
Linkedin is geared towards the professional. You can post resumes, current interest and desired career paths. Start seeking out professionals with similar backgrounds on Linkdin and request to be added to their friend list. This helps your own ranking and credibility to have a large network, so once you get your webiste going, you already have a good network.

And your welcome:)

Last edited:
Check out this link.

**broken link removed**

And business cards is a good idea.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back