Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SMD compatability

Status
Not open for further replies.

duffman

Are SMD components compatible with regular components? SMD is so small, how do you solder the pieces on?

The way I do it, is to coat the pads with a generous amount of solder and lots of flux. I place the part and reflow the solder with a small iron, altho a larger iron might be able to reflow more than one lead at a time. To remove a SOIC, I lay some desoldering braid along one side and run the iron up and down to heat the whole side while prying gently with an exacto knife..

The secret to solder SO devices is use lots of flux and minimum solder. My eyesight is not what it used to be, so I check each connection with a buzzer.

Like 2camjohn said the silicon inside the package is the same for both surface mount and through hole parts so they can be treated the same.

For SOP packages I just use a fine tip on the soldering iron and go pin by pin. For .5mm pitch pins you can just tack all the pins together with lots of solder to initially attach them to the pads and then use solder braid to remove excess solder. I talked to someone from National Semi who claimed he was able to solder BGAs with a heat gun.

Brent

SMT

The only compatibility issue I can think of is power dissipation, obviously lower with SMT due to package size. Rarely a problem, but something to be aware of. The hardest thing when manually soldering a SMT part is keeping the package from moving. I use a very low-tech method to hold parts in place, a tiny bit of masking tape placed over half the part. After the open pin(s) are soldered, remove the tape and solder the other half. It works well, just use a new piece of tape every 10 parts or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back