Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

single-, two-, and four-quadrant switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG1995

Hi,

I was reading up on quadrant switches and need your with some points.

I was using this text: **broken link removed**
(or, use Google drive PDF: https://drive.google.com/file/d/168CHus1Rzm4fCViEJdFnOA845f_R3PsN/view?usp=sharing)

Question 1:
In Slide #8 it says that a BJT is single quadrant switch which can block positive off-state voltage. Does it mean a BJT cannot block negative voltage? The shown BJT is an NPN. In Slide #19 it shows how an NPN could function as a two quadrant switch. Doesn't it suggest that a NPN cannot block negative voltage on its own? Where am I going wrong?

Slide #8:
1571632620152.png

Slide #19:
(edited after rjenkinsgb post to substitute the correct slide; previously this slide was mistakenly used)
1571699935232.png

Question 2:
Yes, the body diode won't conduct but the diode in yellow would definitely conduct reverse current. So, what's the purpose of bypassing body diode?

Slide #14:
1571632577145.png

Note to self:
Slides related to quadrant switched end around slide #23.
Related video, possibly by the author of slides: watch?)v=GLdMUd27LtM (insert www.youtube.com/ at the front)

Attachments

• 1571632653257.png
    1571632653257.png
    163.2 KB · Views: 391
Last edited:
Doesn't it suggest that a NPN cannot block negative voltage on its own? Where am I going wrong?

Back to the original question:

If you reverse the voltage across a bipolar transistor, current would flow through the collector-base junction as if it's just a simple diode. An external series diode prevents that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back