Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Single turn pot

Status
Not open for further replies.

fixit7

I am happy with my circuit and am ready to solder the components.

I used a pot to reduce the volume of a piezo buzzer.

Is a single turn 1k pot what I would use in a circuit board?

It is rated at .5 watt.

I will also order 22 gauge hook up wire, spdt switches, and a 4 conductor small gauge wire.

It will be used to connect the photocell outside with the rest of the circuit inside.

Thanks.

Please post your circuit diagram.

Ken

I did the best I can with Gimp. I am looking for a circuit drawing program for Ubuntu.

Generally speaking that isnt good practice but if it works go ahead, over time the buzzer may not start up with resistance in series.
A piece of tape over the hole is a convenient way to quieten a beeper.

This thread is about a pot but your schematic does not show the pot and does not show how you connected it.
Resistor R2 does not show its resistance.
Pin 2 is the trigger pin on a 555 but yours is connected to nothing. Interference picked up by the pin 2 wire might trigger the 555 to turn off the LED and beeper.
Pin 6 is the threshold pin on a 555 used as a timer but yours detects darkness to turn off the beeper.
The switch does not turn off the circuit, just the LED so the battery will slowly run down.

Generally speaking that isnt good practice but if it works go ahead, over time the buzzer may not start up with resistance in series.
A piece of tape over the hole is a convenient way to quieten a beeper.

If it isn't good practice then what would be the way to reduce the current?

In the beeper there is a driver circuit, this will have a minimum voltage supply, this will be the quietest the thing will go while operating it within the manufacturers ratings.
If you were making a production run you'd go for a different beeper.
You could try using Pwm to control the volume but that would make your circuit more complex.

I ordered a lower Db beeper and one that is not a pulse one.

This is my current one.

MODEL NO.
7P3120LFLA
OPERATING VOLTAGE RANGE ( VDC ) 3 ~ 15
RATED VOLTAGE ( VDC ) 12

* MAX. RATED CURRENT ( mA ) 10
Does this value mean that I if I lower volume more than 90 db, it won't sound at all?

* MIN. SOUND OUTPUT ( dBA/ 30 cm ) 90

* FREQUENCY
( Hz )
TONE NATURE PULSE

The minimum sound output is at its rated 12V. It will produce less volume at a lower voltage. It will produce no sound if you feed it less than 3V.

I put a piece of PVC pipe around the LDR. It stopped the sunlight from having a detrimental effect.

But then it is overcast. I will test it when the sun comes back out.

It means the beeper will make at least 90dba, sort of an efficiency statement.

I put a piece of PVC pipe around the LDR. It stopped the sunlight from having a detrimental effect.

But then it is overcast. I will test it when the sun comes back out.

View attachment 118351

If it has trouble in direct sunlight, painting the inside of the tube with flat black will help.

I did the best I can with Gimp. I am looking for a circuit drawing program for Ubuntu.
try this: (you need to open a terminal window)
Bash:
sudo apt-get install wine*
winecfg      #(set up wine)
wget http://ltspice.analog.com/software/LTspiceXVII.exe
wine LTSpiceXVII.exe    #(this installs LTSpice)

#you should now have LTSpice in your dropdown menu under the "other" or "miscellaneous" submenu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back