Single Fire Toggle Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

k2x5

Hi,

I'm working on a circuit, and run into a snag. Here's what I want to do:
- User Flips Toggle Switch to On position (Locks there)
- Single pulse makes it to destination

The obvious problem I'm running into is that flipping the toggle to on creates a continuous connection. The only way I can think of to prevent this is by using a latching relay which breaks the connection when the coil is energized (When the toggle goes to on) Which I very crudely illustrated in the attached JPG.

Does anyone know of an easier method of doing this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• Diagram.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:
How long a pulse? What's supposed to happen when the toggle switch is opened?...a second pulse?...nothing?

Ken

Last edited:
A fraction of a second would be fine.

The actual intended application is to use it on a keyboard in place of the keys. (Long story)

Opening the toggle switch will result in a reverse pulse (Though that may need to come from a second source) which is why I was hoping there was another solution.

from your title i understand that you need the relay to latch continuously when the switch is pressed & released. see the attached diagram, hope it will full fill your requirement. you should have another reset push button or have to disconnect power to the relay to reset it.

Attachments

• latching relay.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 475
Opening the toggle switch will result in a reverse pulse
So closing the switch...the first pulse is 0V>+5V>0V
Opening the switch...the second pulse is 0V>-5V>0V?
or
Opening the switch...the second pulse is +5V>0V>+5V?
Ken

Opening the toggle switch will result in a reverse pulse (Though that may need to come from a second source) which is why I was hoping there was another solution.

if i understand you correctly, you mean the circuit you posted will have a reverse pulse? normally you have to use a free wheeling diode across the relay coils for DC.

Sorry, thats just my bad explanation. I'm actually looking for nearly the exact opposite.

I'd like it to allow a single pulse to pass (Given my original diagram, I was assuming that the amount of time it took to energize the relay's coil would suffice to connect the circuit from Source -> Destination) and then for the latching relay to break the circuit.

The reason I need it to do this, is I want to replace a key on a keyboard, so I need a single pulse (Akin to pressing a key) and then nothing. If the circuit remains connected it will continually send the pressed key to the computer.

So closing the switch...the first pulse is 0V>+5V>0V
Opening the switch...the second pulse is 0V>-5V>0V?
or
Opening the switch...the second pulse is +5V>0V>+5V?
Ken

That I'm not entirely sure about yet. It is my understanding that in order to get a Latching relay to "un-latch" you need to reverse the polarity on the coils?

Last edited:
if i understand you correctly, you mean the circuit you posted will have a reverse pulse? normally you have to use a free wheeling diode across the relay coils for DC.

Sorry no, the reverse pulse isn't yet a part of the circuit I posted. I haven't gotten as far as un-latching the relay yet.

The attached is a relay pulse generator. The length of the +5V output pulse depends on the value of C1, the relay's coil resistance, and the relay's drop-out voltage. You get a brief pulse out when SW1 closes, and nothing when it opens. If we had a schematic of your keyboard, it could probably be done with an IC.

Ken

Attachments

• Relay Monostable.gif
    5.3 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:
I vote to both save yourself a Lot of interesting grief And get familiar with one of the basic blocks in electronics: a 555. It's non-retriggerable, so switch bounce isn't an issue and can be Easily set for whatever pulse width you want. Max supply of 18 Vdc is high enough for most demands.

When I was on the low rungs of the learning ladder, I ate them like CornFlakes. I do things differently now, but a 555 will Always have its' applications.
Please, Enjoy the vast flexibility of a truly Fun chip... <<<)))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…