Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple Light/dark sensitive LDR to LED Activator Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
success!!

hallelujah!

Thank you so much for all of your help!

I might be picking you brains for some hysteresis but for the time being it works!

speak soon!

Alex

Glad it is working so far. Every now and then when something works for me I just attribute it to the fact that ocasionally even blind squirrels find an acorn. :)

Ron

Hey guys,

Regarding Ground. There is no ground implemented to any of the cables joining the circuit so do i just make a common ground from scratch? Therefore just joining up all unused terminals and things like the third leg of the pot together?

Regards

Alex

Everything marked (-) in the original drawing is ground or common. Everything on the VCC line marked (+) is VCC. Also, what I was getting at with the pot is attached to give you an idea. Hope that helps.

Ron

Attachments

• LDR.gif
    LDR.gif
    4.7 KB · Views: 151
Arr Thanks for that.

So when using batteries you will always connect earth to the ' - ' terminal?

Regards

Alex

Yes, battery negative (-) terminal can be common, ground or earth depending on the naming conventions used.

Ron

Hey guys, different question this time.....what if I want to include a second led? Can I just connect it in parrell with the current one?

Regards

Alex

Hey guys, different question this time.....what if I want to include a second led? Can I just connect it in parrell with the current one?

Regards

Alex

Duplicate the LED current-limiting resistor, too.

Hey guys, regarding the LED's can I use virtually any standard type?

Thanks again

Alex

As long as you know the LED forward voltage and current to calculate the series resistors yes.

Ron

and that would be done using ohms law?

Therefore if using an LED with a forward voltage of 2v and a forward current of 30ma that would mean i need around a 100ohm resistor in-place?

thanks

Alex

Last edited:
and that would be done using ohms law?

Therefore if using an LED with a forward voltage of 2v and a forward current of 30ma that would mean i need around a 100ohm resistor in-place?

thanks

Alex

hi alex,

For any LED resistor calculation.

Let
Vled = the forward drop of the LED
Aled= the rated current for the LED
Vs= the supply voltage to the resistor/LED string.
Rs = the required resistor

So:

Rs= [Vs-Vled]/ Aled
eg: Say Vs=12v and Vled= 3V and Aled=15mA

Rs= [12-3]/0.015 = 600R

so therefore with this LED **broken link removed**

I would be looking at a 330R resistor?

hi,
Its rated at 2.5Vfwd at 30mA, I would run it at 25mA.

So thats [Vs-2.5v]/0.025

I don't now your Vs.?? But you should be able to work out Rs..

Regards
hi,
Its rated at 2.5Vfwd at 30mA, I would run it at 25mA.

So thats [Vs-2.5v]/0.025

I don't now your Vs.?? But you should be able to work out Rs..

Thanks for that.

It's 12v DC although when measured its 13 therefore....

[13-2.5v]/0.025 = 420R

i assume in this scenario its better to have a little more resistance than less as we dont want to over load so a 470R should be sufficient?

Many Thanks

Alex

Thanks for that.

It's 12v DC although when measured its 13 therefore....

[13-2.5v]/0.025 = 420R

i assume in this scenario its better to have a little more resistance than less as we dont want to over load so a 470R should be sufficient?

Many Thanks

Alex

hi,
A 470R would be OK, that will ~22mA.

I have a similar need, for a remote cue light, powered by 9V battery, activated by a photocell taped to a camcorder's onboard record/tally light.

A friend sketched me a wiring diagram (I don't read schematics). A very simple circuit; good, because I have very limited electronics knowledge. It's basically a battery, wired in series with a photoresistor and a red LED. I am pretty good with soldering, it's just the circuit details have me confused. Specifically, it appears that the photoresistor will basically substitute for the current-limiting resistor, true? I bought the RS grab-bag and in bright light the most sensitive one has a minimum resistance of 1K ohm.

This is much higher than the calculated R for the current-limiting resistor.
Given my 9v supply voltage and 1.7V forward voltage, and 20mA current rating on the LED, it's calling for 390R, 1/2watt

Questions:
do I also need a current-limiting resistor, since it will be in series with the photo-resistor?
am I wasting a bunch of current and possibly heating up the photoresistor unecessarily?
am i wasting significant potential brightness?
is there a better, but not too complex, way to use the photocell to trigger the LED? Is there a wiring diagram available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back