Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple 555 LED flasher

Status
Not open for further replies.

schizo18

I'm trying to build a 555 circuit that just simply flashes an LED. The schematic I'm using is the one you can find all over the internet. Just a simple Astable 555 circuit.

My problem is that mine worked on the breadboard, but when I went to actually solder it, I noticed that I had pins 3 and 6 shorted instead of 2 and 6. So I moved the wire and it didn't work when 2 and 6 were connected, but it does still work with 3 and 6 connected. I'm confused why this works this way....any ideas?

Why don't you provide a picture (particularily in PNG format) and also a shematic. We'll be able to understand your question better.

I went to go hook my circuit back up so I could take a picture and it actually seems to work as intended now. I guess that's the power of posting.

So you're saying that originally pins three and six were shorted but they weren't supposed to be (you unintentially did it, right?)? So you disconnected them and shorted pins two and six (the way it's supposed to be). In addition, you're saying that it worked when pins three and six were connected, even though they weren't supposed to be? What was connected to pins two and six?

A schematic is worth more than a thousand words; please post the schematic you used.

My schematic was:
**broken link removed**

All I did differently was short pins 3 and 6 instead of 2 and 6....so essentially pin 2 was still a trigger, but pin 6 was shorted to the output.

When I fixed it and connected pins 2 and 6, I couldn't get a flash. Now It's working the way it's supposed to though.

I suppose your method of shorting pins three and six brought feedback to the input; therefore it would still work. Not as well though, but it would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back