Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple 137Mhz FM Receiver or Amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyman5002

Hi, I'm very new to electronics, but im also very interested in it:) . I would like to either make a simple receiver for 137mhz, or make an amplifier that can amplify a very weak signal. I would like to receive a signal from a weather satellite (APT). I have tried with my scanner but the signal is too weak, hence the amplifier. But also the bandwidth of the scanner is limited, hence the receiver. The receiver would need to be tunable from 137mhz to 138mhz with 50khz bandwidth.

I have a few questions regarding this. Has anyone attempted such a project, if so was it successful? How hard would these project be. Can you suggest any good reading for such projects. I already know very basic radio theory and have messed around with a few circuits, but I'm still very new to electronics but would love to be able to create these projects.

Any advice or comments welcomed :) .

Regards Andy

Thanks JimB for your response. Thanks for all the usefull links. I guess I should try to build an amplifier first on my breadboard. I would eventually like to build a receiver to get the needed bandwidth. That project looks perfect, but has many features that make it complicated. Do you have any advice on an amplifier?

Thanks Andy

I always wanted to make a weatheradio (not sattelite).

I am kind of getting a hang of amplifiers and will tell you if I get something.

andyman5002 said:
I guess I should try to build an amplifier first on my breadboard.

You can't built RF circuits on breadboard, particularly VHF circuits like this one - breadboards are only suitable for low frequency projects.

I second what Nigel said.

If you want to experiment with a pre-amp, build it using "ugly construction" on a piece of unetched circuit board.

JimB

Last edited:
Ok thanks everyone for your input. I guess I have a long road ahead of me yet. I would love to be able to design circuits, even very simple ones. I need to learn a lot yet, but with no electrical education it may be hard. I will have to get books and so on. For my amplifier would I need to place a band-pass filter near the input from the antenna, and then let the passed signal be amplified? If so does the filter need to be tuned to 137 - 138 mhz or will this amplify too much noise?. Is it possible to create a circuit which will only pass the selected channels?

It all seems very complicated :(

Thanks Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back