Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

shunt resistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wegdan

hi
please i need to ask about shunt resistor 100Mv, 10 Amp which has 4 ends (can be connected to 4 things at the same time), or any alternatives can be used.

It's simply a low value resistor, two of the contacts are where it's connected in circuit, the other two are for the connection to the meter - the meter connections simply connect to the other ones, but accurately, to prevent errors when you're dealing with such a low resistance.

Nigel Goodwin said:
It's simply a low value resistor, two of the contacts are where it's connected in circuit, the other two are for the connection to the meter - the meter connections simply connect to the other ones, but accurately, to prevent errors when you're dealing with such a low resistance.
how can i make one of these shunt resistors as i search for it but it is not available

Use a spool of wire. Start with 100'. If too much, cut some off. If too little, add another spool. Get the idea?

Papabravo said:
Use a spool of wire. Start with 100'. If too much, cut some off. If too little, add another spool. Get the idea?

100 feet sounds a little excessive :lol:

Use resistance wire, you only need short lengths then!.

For a 10 Amp shunt you could always buy a cheap multimeter, and use the shunt in it, which is likely just a small section of resistance wire. It would not likely be good for high accuracy or steady use, but for the price of a cheap meter you get some other parts that may be useful also. Probably costs less than a small order online from a parts supplier.

If you wanted to, you could always write any of the resistance wire wakers and ask for a small sample, many would ship you a 1 foot piece for prepaid postage. Be polite, say its for a school project, or something like that. ( I have done this before, and they actually sent me a whole bunch of small samples )

I have no idea where you are located in the world, ( don't get Nigel started on that :D ) but there are hundreds of manufactures, one is here:

http://www.resistancewires.co.uk/products_RW45.html

Take a look at wire charts and look for two things --

The ohms per foot, per hundred feet, per meter ..whatever unit you have.

The current carrying capacity.

Pick the smallest wire that will handle the current - maybe one size smaller. Calculate the number of feet you'll need to get a 100 mv drop with 10 amps flowing. I've made shunts in this range with this crude method and it doesn't take all that much wire. Coil it up ..and keep it away from anything it case it has to cool itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back