Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Show us your hobby workbench

Status
Not open for further replies.
weegee said:
Wow!! that is amazing, mabey one day i'll have a bench like that, do you get the scopes and signal generators new, or do you buy them off ebay and the likes.

Once i get a bit better, im gonna buy a good scope with some 'problems' from ebay, and hopefully repair it. I missed a tektronix? 4 ch storage scope a few weeks back- the problems on the listing didn't seem to hard to fix, it went for £53 :(

I have purchased most of my equipment as surplus from local companies. A few items were bought on Ebay, and a few more through DoveBid. Those of us who have worked for some time in the electronics industry have grown to appreciate quality and will often not settle for less in our hobby equipment. Older HP equipment, for example, is often the best overall value when it comes to test and measurement gear.

im on dovebid too, but all the good gear is all stateside, its all food processing and bio-tec over here :(

i appreciate what you mean, i have tools at work that ive had since i started, and some i made as an apprentice that id never go without, and most of the tools that are out are rubbish quality, or too expensive.

RadioRon said:
I spread work over two benches, one for assembly (ie. soldering) and one for testing (see photos). I also keep an old drafting table nearby for spreading out drawings and stuff.

I think I recognise an HP signal generator. 8565B, something like that? And also some HP Power Supplies.

I agree with you - the old HP stuff was (and is) good test equipment.

Brian

Brian Hoskins said:
I think I recognise an HP signal generator. 8565B, something like that? And also some HP Power Supplies.

I agree with you - the old HP stuff was (and is) good test equipment.

Brian

You're close Brian, its an 8657B.

updated pics, i brought in more of my componets, but im still running out of little drawers to put things in, and my bench is still covered :(

the 'spare' resistors, these are for topping up the little drawers when they run out, there must be at least 100,000 resistors in there

my cnc lathe, its small but it does the job - only use it for plastics and 'soft' metals like alumnium, brass, ect

Attachments

• workroom.jpg
    workroom.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 516
  • resistors.jpg
    resistors.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 718
  • orac.jpg
    orac.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 506
Just looked at RadioRon's pics again, do you work under the microscope, or just use it for fault finding, and component identification?

I assumed it was for surface mount work:confused:

weegee - I like the breifcase full of resistors! Looks like somthing that would be full of money in the movies, lol

RadioRon said:
I am proud to say that this is one field where I got it all at the Vincent price.
Is his full name "Vincent Price"? I went to high school with a guy named Vincent Price.
Andy1845c said:
weegee - I like the breifcase full of resistors! Looks like somthing that would be full of money in the movies, lol
It's payola for the electronics mafia! :D

weegee said:
Just looked at RadioRon's pics again, do you work under the microscope, or just use it for fault finding, and component identification?

I work under the microscope. Most of my work is SMT and I'm not getting any younger either, so the microscope is essential for board assembly as well as debug and rework. I can't imagine getting along without a good microscope anymore.

RadioRon said:
I can't imagine getting along without a good microscope anymore.

I have 20/20 vision or there abouts (for now) but I can't imagine doing any SMD work without some form of magnifier either. For assembly and rework I can usually get away with my bench light / magnifier, but for inspection and fault finding a microscope is a much better tool. I like those ones you can tilt around so that instead of looking straight down on a board, you can inspect it from all different angles. I can't afford one of those, though!

Brian

Speaking of microscopes, there is a surprising number of new ones available on ebay for very little cost. When I search "stereo microscope" there are hundreds of listings, all for new units, and most for less than $400. Has anyone here bought one of these, and if so, how good is it?

Here's an example:
**broken link removed**

I use an old camcorder with a decent macro function and a 19" LCD monitor (with a PCTV card) for very small intricate work. I don't get on with stereo microscopes - I get seasick for some reason.

If you want a good microscope for cheap, check with local colleges or universities. Often they either donate their old optics or auction them off. I got a Bausch & Lomb microscope for $20 from a college and it's as heavy as a tank! It has two eyepieces, a zoom tube, and a turret w/ 3 oculars (I think that's what they're called) and the one is a 60x taking the total magnification into the hundreds. It has a mirror assembly and a rackable table for the slide. Came in a wooden case too! Presently I'm trying to get my hands on a mothballed 10" Meade refractor telescope that a college has sitting neglected in a corner closet!!

so here's mine
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Heres my lab/workshop in progress. I was able to get alot accomplished over christmas break.

workshop-021-2-jpg.25107

I still have a bunch of work to do on it. I have to get some more pegboard and I think I'm going to put up a shelf aroud the top. I'm also going to move that PVC pipe in the spring. Its the exhaust for my furnace and I dont really want to go messing with that until it gets alittle warmer.

I also need to build/buy some other storage shelves for the rest of my stuff:
img_0953-2-jpg.25109

Attachments

• workshop 021-2.JPG
    workshop 021-2.JPG
    227.8 KB · Views: 1,307
  • IMG_0953-2.JPG
    IMG_0953-2.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 692
That looks nice, Jeff! I am already envious! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back