Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sex Toy Vibrator Motor

Will name brand (Duracell/Energizer) batteries burn out a vibrator prematurely?

• YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Theoretically, but highly unlikely

• NO

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

buurin

If any of you have ever purchased a sex toy (vibrator) you may have had the clerk tell you not to use duracell/energizer batteries because they will prematurely burn out the tiny motors -- instead you should buy some off-brand batteries from behind the counter.

I have been told from various clerks why this is the case. 1) Name brand have too much alkaline and 2) Name brand have too much mercury.

Can someone tell me is this a myth? If not, why is this the case?

The only thing I could come up with is that the name brand batteries have a smaller resistance and therefore provide too much current. My only issue with this is that the vibrators have potentiometers for speed control and I would imagine that the resistance of the potentiometer would make the resistance of the battery negligable.

I actually got in a debate with the clerk today when buying a toy... She was not convinving even though there may be some truth in what she said.

Thanks

That is the worst urban myth I think I've ever heard. Granted of course because I'm saying this someone is going to come around and prove me wrong =) But they just want you to buy their off brand batteries. They probably charge you full retail price for some ultra cheap nock off batteries they get in bulk for absurdly low prices.

Nice... At least I have one supporter :)

This woman tonight went off on me! She told me how the motors get so hot they cause burns and can melt the toy. I then told her I didnt believe it, that I have close to 30 toys and not one has ever malfunctioned and I use duracells all the time. She then told me I clearly dont care about my girlfriend, and if I were to be the one putting the toy in me then I would probably heed her warnings.

So not only do I want to know will the motor burn out, but would they also cause the motor to overheat excessively -- to the point of burns and/or melting? She claims she herself tested this theory and had the toy melted!

that I have close to 30 toys and not one has ever malfunctioned and I use duracells all the time.
Well.. If you have 30 of them, why not put it too the test? Just hold it in your hand and run it for a while and see if it gets too hot.

Even if it did get hot that wouldnt explain to me why... It also wouldnt explain if the motor would burnout faster.

Unless theyre a special battery (lower voltage) then it shouldnt matter what brand. Sounds to me like they just want you to buy theirs ;)

Even if it did get hot that wouldnt explain to me why.
That would be poor design. They would have to be running the motor at a higher voltage than it is designed for if it is overheating. I've never had one apart but I'd assume they are the same design as a pager vibrator motor; just an offset weight on the motor shaft which produces vibration when spun. Just run it at no more than the 80% speed setting or install a 0.56:eek:hm: (You'll have to experiment here, have fun) in series with the motor if you are worried about it.

As you descibed, it is a plain ol' vibrator from what I can tell. I have opened multiple devices and nothing indicates otherwise.

This is a well accepted notion across the sex toy industry... Ive been to shops in different states and in Canada and have gotten the same speech over and over. I even went to a sex toy 'clinic' with a 'professional' and they said the same thing. I think this is a myth that no one with any electrical knowledge has questioned.

Quoted from: **broken link removed**

"A Note About Batteries
We advise our customers not use Energizer, Eveready GOLD and Duracell in their toys, as these batteries tend to wear out the motors quickly. Your warranty is also voided if these batteries are used. We have found that vibrators perform best when Eveready BLACK and Toshiba are used. Rechargables are also suitable.
Note: The Pearl Boy Deluxe has a modified motor that can handle the stronger batteries and therefore you can use Energizer, Eveready GOLD and Duracell. "

Anyone else have any theories?

Although my vibrator is not battery powered, and is beginning to show signs of wear and tear from constant use, it still produces the desired results.

An out of balance weight on any motor has to put more strain on the bearings and cause more heat even when run at it's rated voltage.

Mike.

Wow, what an interesting thread.

I have repaired a few said 'toys' over the years ( last one was only a few weeks back ). I'd have to say that they are the worst designs ever.
All the units I have seen have the motor encased in what appears to be an air tight 'egg' shaped capsule within the outer casing of plastic or latex etc. So no chance of circulating air.
The motors themselves are the cheapest types around.
I have seen one burned out motor, but most were broken wires or badly made battery packs. With the exception of the one with the bent gearbox.

buurin said:
Nice... At least I have one supporter :)

This woman tonight went off on me! She told me how the motors get so hot they cause burns and can melt the toy. I then told her I didnt believe it, that I have close to 30 toys and not one has ever malfunctioned and I use duracells all the time. She then told me I clearly dont care about my girlfriend, and if I were to be the one putting the toy in me then I would probably heed her warnings.

So not only do I want to know will the motor burn out, but would they also cause the motor to overheat excessively -- to the point of burns and/or melting? She claims she herself tested this theory and had the toy melted!

Send the Woman to me instead of buying a Toy.I have a Natural Vibrator with two Batteries.No more melting anymore.....When it is too much getting hot automatically its flushed by a Liquid........

buurin said:
If any of you have ever purchased a sex toy (vibrator) you may have had the clerk tell you not to use duracell/energizer batteries because they will prematurely burn out the tiny motors -- instead you should buy some off-brand batteries from behind the counter.

I have been told from various clerks why this is the case. 1) Name brand have too much alkaline and 2) Name brand have too much mercury.

Can someone tell me is this a myth? If not, why is this the case?

The only thing I could come up with is that the name brand batteries have a smaller resistance and therefore provide too much current. My only issue with this is that the vibrators have potentiometers for speed control and I would imagine that the resistance of the potentiometer would make the resistance of the battery negligable.

I actually got in a debate with the clerk today when buying a toy... She was not convinving even though there may be some truth in what she said.

Thanks

One thing that makes a little sense would be using under rated motors and then specifying the usage duration, or in this case battery type. You see it a lot in inexpensive home appliances-5 min on 10 min off.

D.

buurin said:
... I have close to 30 toys and not one has ever malfunctioned and I use duracells all the time.
Am I the only one here wondering about this person? 30 toys? If you're a woman posting this, you'd only need 3 at one given moment... or a very good male partner that can accomplish the same results without the need for batteries! Sheesh!:confused:

hi,
this subject has certainly caused a great deal of 'arousel', never found the need myself.

From a purely technical point of view, I would get a test meter and see how much current the 'toy' draws, [ 'on and off load!!' ] using different battery types.

Once the best answer is known, perhaps someone could design a power pack to run the 'toy' from a laptops usb port.

EricG

If you're talking about batteries providing too much current then they wouldnt be recommending using rechargable batteries which can give out up to 80 times the current of a normal alkaline cell.

If you're that worried about it stick a couple of 3A diodes in series with the batteries - that will drop you a nice 0.7 (ish) volts per diode.

As for using rechargables in "toys" they are great apart from the obvious problem that when they die they die very very quickly ..........

True story!

At the pub that used to be just down the road (now sadly knocked down), the landlord used to be a Scot called Kenny - who was 6ft 8inches tall (a big lad!). There used to be a young woman who came in called 'Big Jackie', because she had the largest natural chest you ever did see :D (48DD for those who might be interested!)

Anyway, a load of us (men!) were sat at the bar one night, and Kenny reaches under the bar and brings out this HUGE vibrator - and says "when Jackie comes in I'm going to tell her she left it here last night". Being normal well behaved males we all suitably giggled, and waited for Jackie to come in!.

She comes in, the pub is packed, and walks straight to the bar - Kenny reaches under the bar, slams it down and says "you left this here last night!". The place goes deathly silent, everyone ready to crack up laughing - but Jackie just looks at it, reachs into her bag and slaps one down TWICE the size, and says "no, this ones MINE!".

Everone absolutely cracked up, but all laughing at Kenny rather than Jackie!.

cadstarsucks said:
One thing that makes a little sense would be using under rated motors and then specifying the usage duration, or in this case battery type. You see it a lot in inexpensive home appliances-5 min on 10 min off.

D.
like the slippers my mom has. there the conair vibrating slipper thingymabobs it says max 1 hours usage. ( or something like that) but she keeps them on for long periods of time. it can't be good for a diabetic person but try telling her that lol!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back