Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Series-connecting LEDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mweber

I'd like to series-connect an array of five super-brighr LEDs.
Are there any problems that might show up in a few weeks or months if I do this? Are there any special considerations?
I assume that the current would be the same as for one, and the total voltage across the array would be five times the forward voltage for one LED.
I can calculate the series resistor for the voltage output of the power supply.
Your help will be appreciated.
Mark

Series connecting will work fine. Take the voltage drop of all 5 LEDs into consideration when calculating the resistor value. The total current through all LEDs will be the same.

If each LED has +/- 1v tolerance on the fwd voltage the overall tolerance on the fwd voltage of the string of five will be +/- 2.2v

Last edited:
It will work fine. Keep the current below the maximum design current of the leds to ensure a long term reliabilty.

e.g. 20 mA LED, run at 19 mA or less.

Calculate the series R by adding up all LED forward voltages and subtracting it from the supply voltage. Allowe for minor variations as already is suggested by the previous posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back