Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Serial Protocol

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnkaz77

Hi everyone!I'm about to start a new a design and I want to ask for some help.. The design will be a pcb as host (like a motherboard) that will control and receive data from 10 (identical) pcbs (daughterboards). Each daughterboard pcb, will have 2 FPGAs which will collect data from some ASICs and they will send the acquired data to a master FPGA located on the motherboard. So, the master FPGA will be receiving data from 20 FPGAs and i was wondering what kind of serial protocol to use for their communication. I was thinking of SPI, any other ideas? Thank you for your time.

Can you use I2C to simplify the hardware connection?

Actually, i'm not really familiar with other serial protocols that's why i wanted some help.. To hear some ideas and study about the pros and cons of each to decide which is best for my design.

I2C has its advantages and disadvantages. The main advantage is that all of your devices can be connected to the same 2 wires going back to your controller. Each device is then addressed individually in software.

The disadvantages are that it can be slower compared to other serial protocols and - from memory - has a limited transmission (wire) length.

Need more details. distance between mother/daughter cards and amount and rate of data you need to transmit are the big ones.

I2C isn't good for large amounts of data or long distances.

Physically, RS422/RS485 are multidrop differential with good speed and distance. Since 1 master & multiple slaves, half duplex is fine. Logically, a standard async protocol is the easy way out, pending data volume. I'm not seeing how much data each slave uploads and how often is has to do it, nor what distances are between everybody. Overall, somewhat vague... <<<)))

Hi again. The amount of data the slaves upload will be, at most, about 27-30 KBytes each and the overall distance won't be more than 0.5 meter. I don't know yet how often, it depends on many things waiting to find out but i guess about every 1-2 seconds.

Hi again. The amount of data the slaves upload will be, at most, about 27-30 KBytes each and the overall distance won't be more than 0.5 meter. I don't know yet how often, it depends on many things waiting to find out but i guess about every 1-2 seconds.

You really need to explain EXACTLY what you're trying to do, from that it looks like you're trying to shift a LOT of data.

Normally it will be much less than that, this the maximum amount of data but i have to cover that aspect too. Each FPGA will be collecting result data from some ASICs under test (i was thinking to store the data in a ram inside the FPGAs) and when all the FPGAs have done collecting the data, they will inform the master to start the transfer. When the transfer has been completed a new cycle will be begin for all slaves and so on.

Normally it will be much less than that, this the maximum amount of data but i have to cover that aspect too. Each FPGA will be collecting result data from some ASICs under test (i was thinking to store the data in a ram inside the FPGAs) and when all the FPGAs have done collecting the data, they will inform the master to start the transfer. When the transfer has been completed a new cycle will be begin for all slaves and so on.

Why not use the individual FPGA's (or use micro-controllers) to test the data rather than passing it on?.

The data processing will be done through a labview application but that's another issue. Right now i'm focusing on the communication between the FPGAs.

Ok, brass tacks...

10 units at 30+kBps (Always worst case the data flow..) = 300+kBps :: 3000+kbps = 3+ Mbps. Lucky you, RS422/RS485 has an ~6.1 Mbps limit. Good thing, that's raw data flow... no formatting/packetizing OR protocol overheads.

I'll hat tip to Nigel, but in a different angle: use uCs as data accumulators to format and (hopefully well) compress the data. Upload the compressed streams then expand and process. You may not have to go this far, but it's an option if raw streaming doesn't cut it. G.H... <<<)))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back