Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

school dumpster dive. found some cool stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

mashersmasher

so aside from a box of heatsinks, a good amount of photoresistors, and countless logic gates (at least a dozen of each) i discovered something interesting. it's a 40 pin chip on a great breadboard. it says
l (m)(c)'77 PR L414G833
-----------------------------------

is this at all useful? should i just rip it off and make a microchip centipede out of it?

Last edited:
I dont know about the 40 pin chip on there, but if you want to make the jump to MCU, what is your skill level and describe what you are capable of?

Better yet, where was that dumpster? :) haha

Judging by the maker that 40 pin should be a microprocessor, not sure of the details though. Is it a DIP or PGA type,ie. is it square or rectangular?

The logics are always a good to have item, overall a great take!!hehe When in doubt sell it on ebay as is..lol

-BaC

the chip it's the dip type. my skill level is pretty low. i know how to make a half and also a full adder or subtracter with logic gates. i can program a bit in turing and basic (vb and pbasic). this is my high school dumpster after the electronics course got the axe. i've found all kinds of awesome stuff in that dumpster like a platter of 486 cpus.

Well like I said, maybe just test them and sell them if your not going to use them yourself.

-BaC

i'll definitely use the heat sinks, gates, and photoresistors but i don't even know the pinout of that other chip let alone how to use it

It's a shame the electronics course got scrapped; didn't enough students choose it?

If I were you I would have tried to do more to stop them from axing to.

Just a word of caution - the stuff you grabbed might or might not work. Sure, it's not uncommon for people to toss stuff out that's in 100% good condition - but it also might be faulty. Only reason for mentioning this - so you don't invest a lot of energy and resources then get frustrated when things don't work as planned.

A thought or two - as you try to construct something, even a simple electronic circuit, you'll make mistakes - everyone does. The good part is that if you stick with it you get better and better. You can handle more complex things. A seasoned pro can easily determine if parts are good or not - or otherwise troubleshoot. When you are just starting out you're abilities in that area will be low. Try to start out with parts that are likely to be in good condition. That doesn't mean that dumpster diving isn't a good idea - I've done plenty of it. Sometimes got good stuff - sometimes I learned why the stuff got tossed.

Try emailing someone at American Megatrends (https://www.ami.com ) and see if they can ID it. You said there were also a bunch of 486s so perhaps it's a BIOS or related chip. The name "Megatrends" seems to indicate that, anyway.

Torben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back