Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Schematics capture programs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to know what programs that will help aid me in designing my own PCB boards (if money is not a problem what is the best program)? I looked at two programs that I found. One is called Eagle and the other is ExpressPCB. Does any one know what programs the big companies use?

Thanks,
Kyle

LifeForce4 said:
I wanted to know what programs that will help aid me in designing my own PCB boards (if money is not a problem what is the best program)? I looked at two programs that I found. One is called Eagle and the other is ExpressPCB. Does any one know what programs the big companies use?

Thanks,
Kyle

Oh yeah.. My company uses Cadence with the following toolset:

Schematic Capture = Concept
PCB layout = Allegro
Spectra High speed PCB simulator

And few others that are integrated like PSPICE (real PSPICE), an auto router and couple ther documentation tools.

Pricing, I think a single seat is several 10's of thousands.

Orcad is another full blown suite that I have seen larger companies use.

PCB layout / schematic capture / circuit analysis

Good Topic.

My company is looking into buying a license. I did some research and found a good article about the top companies of PCB tools.

**broken link removed**

Our initial PCB layout tool was edtCad. It is no longer supported. You will want something that is going to be around for a long time but within your budget. The ones we are considering buying are:
Pads, Orcad, P-Cad or Cadence. Does anyone have any preferance over the other??

Thanks,
Tim

Re: PCB layout / schematic capture / circuit analysis

tml1220 said:
Good Topic.

My company is looking into buying a license. I did some research and found a good article about the top companies of PCB tools.

**broken link removed**

Our initial PCB layout tool was edtCad. It is no longer supported. You will want something that is going to be around for a long time but within your budget. The ones we are considering buying are:
Pads, Orcad, P-Cad or Cadence. Does anyone have any preferance over the other??

Thanks,
Tim

Try Expedition PCB I think it is provided Mentor Graphics

ExpressPCB is free to use no limits on it. Eagle has a free version but there are limits to how big you can make the board.

Eagle:
ExpressPCB: **broken link removed**

Kyle

Problem with expressPCB is that NO ONE else can use their board schematics. So if you use expressPCB then you either have to make the boards yourself or you have to go through expressPCB. ExpressPCB however gets you your boards really fast in my experience.

Orcad capture lite? I just looked at that I sound like just a program to view the schematics that Orcad makes. Does it have a schematic / PCB layout program with it?

Thanks,
Kyle

Well, I think it's the stuff bundled together. I got it in my Circuit's Analysis textbook, it has a capture program, along with a simulation tool, that simulates the circuits you build in capture, and finally, you have a PCD protel like 'wizard' that probably do your needed design...

EdtCAD

This is to inform all that EdtCAD is still supported and maintained by Electronic Design Tools, Inc. Please e-mail me if I can help anyone with knowledge about EdtCAD. Thanks, Mike Carpenter, Electronic Design Tools, MIKEC@WORLDLOGON.COM

Proteus from labcenter

I have used Proteus from Labcenter for many years and it is great for schematic capture and board layout with or without autorouting. You can also add simulation and virtual instruments to test your circuit before you make your pcb. Google will find it for you, just type Labcenter or Proteus and then request the demo cd.

Edtcad is still supported by the original author, Mike Carpenter. I will be happy to answer any questions or update the system for any users. Please call me at 214-375-9548 between 6 PM CST and 6 AM CST or 214 202 2179 between 6AM to 6 PM CST. Sincerly, Mike Carpenter Electyronic Design Tools, Dallas Texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back