Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Safe android smartphone brand

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacIntoshCZ

Hi,
do you know any good smartphone brand that has frequent security patches and updates?
| need phone for my dad and he is very cautious...

I am looking on samsung / google phones at the moment.
Iphone is out of range

Google provides support for a minimum of three years, from what I can see.

None of the other big name Android phone makers issue long-term updates as far as I know, as they all customise each release and it's too expensive to do for anything but new phones.

For reference, the iphone 6S from 2015 is still supported by Apple updates - six years.
I could eg. get a secondhand iphone 8 64GB with a two year warranty from a national UK electronics dealer for half the cost of a new google pixel 5.

I often buy high-end secondhand rather than new lower grade, as the high quality stuff tends to be better performance and longer life.

Google provides support for a minimum of three years, from what I can see.

None of the other big name Android phone makers issue long-term updates as far as I know, as they all customise each release and it's too expensive to do for anything but new phones.

For reference, the iphone 6S from 2015 is still supported by Apple updates - six years.
I could eg. get a secondhand iphone 8 64GB with a two year warranty from a national UK electronics dealer for half the cost of a new google pixel 5.

I often buy high-end secondhand rather than new lower grade, as the high quality stuff tends to be better performance and longer life.
When you buy your next used phone, try the "recover deleted photos" feature on Samsung and some other android phones. A coworker was given a used phone that was "wiped and restored to new condition". He set it up and paired it to his email account and all was good. Then he went to a trade show and took some photos, deleted bad ones. Then decided to recover one he deleted. He discovered he could restore hundreds of photos that he never took.

Iphones have the internal storage encrypted by default, so when the phone is reset and linked to a new account, a new encryption key means the old data can never be recovered.

Android has also had the storage encryption option, since Android 3 - but it's only since Android 5 was released that phone makers have often set it to be on by default.

It can easily be switched on if it is not enabled. The option is in Settings > Security > Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back