Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My brand new laptop...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian Rogers

User Extraordinaire
Forum Supporter
Most Helpful Member
I'm just getting the grips with this "BLOODY" Windows 8..... I wanted 7 but couldn't, for the life of me, get hold of a decent one with the specs I need...

Anywho!!!! Anyone who likes this new...er OS. I believe 9 is in the making...

i hate mums laptop! (i am on it now) it has windows 8! windows 8 style is here to stay because microsoft want to capture the mobile phone OS market and do to that what it has to the pc OS market! thats why they have purchased nokia. and before you think i am clever the above all came from dad when i asked him why windows was so crap :D

I'm staying with Windows XP for as long as possible. (At work today I was using 'Terminal' on a Windows 3.1 computer. worked perfectly, also I was using a 'DOS' only unit for one of our systems.). :)

This message was brought to you by Windows XP.

Windows 8? You could die trying to find the 'Start' button' :(

I upgraded to 8 (from Vista), and once you've installed Classic Shell it's fine :D
Ya, until you try to edit the .cmp of LT Spice .lib

I was able to edit my Mac .lib\.cmp and add a 1n4007 I also had no trouble with XP. Some say Windows 7 is just Vista Upgrade. I'm not sure what Window 8 is? Maybe an Upgrade of XP?

Win7 is great, probably the best of the Windows OS's?
I would have to say it is one of the better ones, the only problem I've had is that I can't edit anything in the (x86) but, I will say that I think Windows runs better on a Mac or at least from my perspective.

I really don't care what system I use as long as it works. LT Spice needs an update on the Mac 10.8 OS. then I'm be able to both simulate and build. Right now I can only build.

Apparently Windows has a downgrade option. If you want to downgrade you can ring microsoft and they will give you a windows 7 key instead. The only thing that needs to be checked is if the laptop fully supports windows 7 which seems that not many do anymore.

Most windows 8 laptops have an "all singing, all dancing" touch pad.. So I doubt there will be a driver for that..

I installed "Classic Shell".... All was totally great.... It acts like Windows 7..... A WORD OF WARNING to all that does this...

The "Lid Close" and "Power Button" are on sleep by default......

When you install classic shell V4 ( the newest version) It disables Metro as default app opener!!! It, without warning, shuts down everything that is running including Metro and explorer.... Leaving you with no way of rebooting... Stuck with the blank Metro screen!!!!

As I am a little familiar with the Microsoft OS's... "Control, Alt & Delete" and when task manager reveals itself..

"New task" and run explorer... then you can press "Win+R" and type "Control Panel"... From here you can re-program the "Power button" to shut down.....

SO!!! In a nutshell... reprogram the button BEFORE installing "Classic Shell"...

Apart from that... I'm quite happy with windows 8 now.... It seems more compatible with older app's...

That's handy to know, Eric. Thanks for sharing.

Nah. Brain and self on different planets. Apologies, Ian :facepalm:. Anyway, the info looks handy for when I have to face the inevitable and get a new laptop myself.

I was forced to upgrad to win8 when some *%*)_&^% decided that he deserved to have all my stuff and just helped himself to everything I had while I was working :( So after repairing my house I got a new laptop (but it didn't have any of my robotic codes or the backup disks included :)) I just click on the desktop icon and only use the "windows" side occasionally. the start button kept me in a blank state untill I found out how to shutdown it...... other wise os 8 seems ok to me so far....I've only been using it for 2 months.

Well!! I have other issues... A lot of my software will run under windows normally, "you get a driver signing warning", but it usually installs.... Not now... Windows 8 gives no control to anything without driver signatures... The other thing is CAB files... If they don't report with a signed code, well tough its not going on your machine.

I was installing visual studio 2008 WRITTEN BY MICROSOFT!!! the cab files weren't signed....ARRGGHH!!

You have to go to "PC Settings on the metro screen" then force a reboot... Then windows 8 give you a menu!!! select change "startup settings" then it re- reboots... there you can switch off all the crap that stops anything from being installed...

Still can't get MSDN on though..... Its an uphill struggle...

I think my son misses my calls due to me asking to many times "how do I do this, why dosen't this work.." lol

I once tried win 8, if i recall right, it was beta of some sort. I didn't like it at all :D maybe it's just about getting used to it...

I think my son misses my calls due to me asking to many times "how do I do this, why dosen't this work.." lol

haha, i see myself in that post. I'm not your son, but i live with my parents and big brother, and well, brother is only one who has any clue about these after me. I'm not proud or anything, people know different things, all have their own akille's knee (sorry, translation problems perhaps...) like me, i dont understand about cars, even thought i drive with one that is constantly breaking up. Good thing is that it teaches well, to maintain, and to drive better :D.

I'm staying with Windows XP for as long as possible. :)

This message was brought to you by Windows XP.
I'm with ya 110% Best product ever produced by MicroSoft IMHO. Yea it maybe outdated and such but it works well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back