Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My brand new laptop...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit of a revive!!!

Well I put up with windows 8 for over 6 months.....

Pro's..... None whatsoever.

Cons.... Doesn't run anything... You can't even get a C/C++ compiler for the crappy OS... Even MS visual studio doesn't really support C++ anymore.... You can't do anything.... You absolutely CANNOT run 16 bit applications... Smart screen prevents you from downloading anything that will help you... UAC is built in ( very deep) so to make any permanent changes is next to impossible...

It's been removed...... I have installed Windows 7 and I have managed to get everything I used to use running pretty well..

Windows 8 is definitely not for desktop applications... I don't even know why a developer would use this OS.. it seems to be aimed at babies, those who need mothering....

Waste of 6 months in my opinion...

A bit of a revive!!!

Cons.... Doesn't run anything... You can't even get a C/C++ compiler for the crappy OS... Even MS visual studio doesn't really support C++ anymore.... You can't do anything.... You absolutely CANNOT run 16 bit applications... Smart screen prevents you from downloading anything that will help you... UAC is built in ( very deep) so to make any permanent changes is next to impossible...

It's been removed...... I have installed Windows 7 and I have managed to get everything I used to use running pretty well..

Windows 8 is definitely not for desktop applications... I don't even know why a developer would use this OS.. it seems to be aimed at babies, those who need mothering....

Hi Ian

Now I at last understand why you have been a bit grumpy for the last six Months.....remember me sending you a PM asking you whats up??
Your reply...something along these lines: "I am busy coding...."

Welcome back :)

You have been sorely missed :)

All the best,
tvtech

it seems to be aimed at babies
And the zombie generation who cannot go anywhere without looking at their phone all the time.

JimB

And the zombie generation who cannot go anywhere without looking at their phone all the time.

JimB

I only use a basic Cellphone...one that well....you speak to people on. And answer calls.

I see people here staring at their phone the whole time....and wonder....WTF are they doing???

Like you say Jim....walking down the road, all they do is look at their phone. Lot's of teenagers here have the amazing cellphone walk where they magically miss other people/cars etc while concentrating on the phone only..

Crazy. So glad I don't rely on a Cellphone to keep my brain working...

Regards,
tvtech

I only use a basic Cellphone...one that well....you speak to people on. And answer calls.
Same here. My phone spends most of its time switched off.
Lot's of teenagers here have the amazing cellphone walk where they magically miss other people/cars etc while concentrating on the phone only..
I asked my doctor recently whether he was getting more patients with facial injuries from having walked into a lamp-post or other obstruction. He said no (surprisingly); so presumably these kids are using a GPS app on their phones to warn them of obstructions :).

Same here. My phone spends most of its time switched off.
I asked my doctor recently whether he was getting more patients with facial injuries from having walked into a lamp-post or other obstruction. He said no (surprisingly); so presumably these kids are using a GPS app on their phones to warn them of obstructions :).

Utah, recently joined other states; it's considered to be equal or more hazardous to use your cell phone while driving; as driving under the Influence.

Now all you can do is talk on it without getting a ticket. Absolutely no reading or interfacing with it internet etc. It's $100 and funny to see people finally pulling off the road to use their cell. However, it's not funny to hear a Mother and Child was killed; because of a distracted driving.

Hi Ian,

I have Windows 8 on my laptop and Windows 7 on my desktop. I have gotten used to Windows 8, and while I would prefer having 7, 8 is much faster and runs more efficiently. I have not had any issues with Visual Studio/C++ on this machine, or with any other programs, really. Then again, I have had Windows 8 for over a year now, so I have made some changes to it (disabled apps and side-swipe, cleared out a lot of the extra garbage that I don't need, etc) and have gotten used to it. I agree that Windows 7 is better for developers, but I am able to use 8 for development just fine. What version were you running?

Anyway, I don't blame you for switching back to 7. Glad to hear you've got things under control!

Best wishes,
Matt

A bit of a revive!!!

Still using XP and Surfing with OS X with an SSD on my Mac at the same time with 2 monitors; seemlessly:) I don't care about Microsofts support for XP as it never sees the internet. Reminds me when I kept win98 for 10years. We'll see what they have to offer in Win9.

https://techgage.com/article/a-look-at-mac-hypervisors-parallels-desktop-9-vmware-fusion-6/

Down to brass tacks.....

I need to write a simulator.... Not just any, I need to simulate a H8500 from Renaissance ( Hitachi )..

I really need to write it in C++... I don't want a console application! I want a form so I can interact better..
I tried Visual Studio 2013 ( no other VS will work on Windows 8 ).. Since 2012 you cannot do windows forms with C++ without a lot of messing around... Microsoft reckon that "RAD" development is best suited to C# and VB and have removed windows forms from C++.... Yes I know you still have the framework, but its more messing!!!!

I have just installed VS2008 ( Full version ) onto Windows 7... I already have most of the simulation code in C, so it should be easy enough...

This would make a great blog..... I know I'm going to be bald in a few days... I have never done a CPU simulator before....

Congratulations on having a new laptop. I had to re-flow the mobo of mine so now it's on borrowed time (and it's now injecting horrendous amounts of noise into the mains supply), looking for a decent used one to replace it. Just so long as I can keep using Arch Linux I'm happy...

I have Win 8 on my laptop and have hated it for around 9 months now.
I stupidly did the update to 8.1 and it completely buggered everything up - I can't access Live Mail at all, good job I set up Hotmail to access my UK email account, IE won't load from the desktop and only loads through Metro.
I've suffered for a few months now and need to set aside some time to back up my stuff, then go back to 7.

I have Win 8 on my laptop and have hated it for around 9 months now.
I stupidly did the update to 8.1 and it completely buggered everything up - I can't access Live Mail at all, good job I set up Hotmail to access my UK email account, IE won't load from the desktop and only loads through Metro.
I've suffered for a few months now and need to set aside some time to back up my stuff, then go back to 7.

That is the one downside--some programs will need to be updated in order to run on 8.1, which I find ridiculous. As for the browser only loading in Metro, that's what you get for using IE! :p You can install desktop versions of the browsers (I use Chrome and/or Firefox and never had an issue).

The reason people tend to have so much trouble with Windows 8/8.1 is because they often go into it with a closed mind, expecting something more like Windows 7. In reality, if you just take some time to explore the OS with an open mind, you learn a lot of new things and are able to use it more easily. There are ways around almost every single bug you can think of in Windows 8. I have gotten mine to look and run very much like Windows 7, only it is faster and more efficient now. You just have to take the time to explore and learn how to make it look the way you want it to.

That being said, I wouldn't blame you if you still want to go back to Windows 7--I have it on my desktop and wouldn't dream of getting Windows 8 instead.

Regards,
Matt

Down to brass tacks.....

I need to write a simulator.... Not just any, I need to simulate a H8500 from Renaissance ( Hitachi )..

I really need to write it in C++... I don't want a console application! I want a form so I can interact better..
I tried Visual Studio 2013 ( no other VS will work on Windows 8 ).. Since 2012 you cannot do windows forms with C++ without a lot of messing around... Microsoft reckon that "RAD" development is best suited to C# and VB and have removed windows forms from C++.... Yes I know you still have the framework, but its more messing!!!!

I have just installed VS2008 ( Full version ) onto Windows 7... I already have most of the simulation code in C, so it should be easy enough...

This would make a great blog..... I know I'm going to be bald in a few days... I have never done a CPU simulator before....

Hi Ian

Cranes and weights and all that go with that delicate balance :)

I do remember even though it was Six Months ago...I am like an Elephant when it comes to that kind of stuff...you maybe screw up...and all is lost...

No wonder you have had a very busy, hard working, frustrating time.

I am proud of the fact that you Moderate here... along with Nigel, Jim and Matt...

I have the very best Mods in the whole World looking after me. I am so proud of you all I could burst with pride :cool:

No other Forum out there can match any one of you. Ever.

Not joking. I mean it.

All the Best,
tvtech

Last edited:
Worse and worse.... I am currently on 253 updates..... It just doesn't seem to stop!!!

I have managed to get all of my software on... I will install VS 2008 ( I have the full version) and see if I can get the job done...

I can't believe that MS allows this.... After the 156 it installed service pack 1... Surely the 156 updates would have been included in the service pack.... They don't think like we do....

Worse and worse.... I am currently on 253 updates..... It just doesn't seem to stop!!!

I have managed to get all of my software on... I will install VS 2008 ( I have the full version) and see if I can get the job done...

I can't believe that MS allows this.... After the 156 it installed service pack 1... Surely the 156 updates would have been included in the service pack.... They don't think like we do....

They'll slow down eventually, don't worry. When I first installed 7 on my desktop I had the same problem. Now it only updates once every two months or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back