Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Safe and Stable 5V Automotive Circuit ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iso9001

I have pic set up to drive some accessory stuff in a auto application, I have a 7805 5V regulator, but I'm not sure about some things...

Can I hook a 12V lead directly to the regulator or is it going to need a resistor or such ? (regulators current handeling is 1amp, but my pic will draw MUCH less then that, or is it going to draw the batteries current to convert... I dont know much about this stuff)

Also, I notice I'm not getting a steady voltage, If off a 9V I'm getting about 4.50V, if from the car battery its ~5.17V. I dont have any caps on this circuit mainly b/c I have no idea where they go, anyone have any advice on this ?

Thanks,

Can I hook a 12V lead directly to the regulator or is it going to need a resistor or such ? (regulators current handeling is 1amp, but my pic will draw MUCH less then that, or is it going to draw the batteries current to convert... I dont know much about this stuff)

You can connect 12V directly to input on a 7805.

iso9001 said:
Also, I notice I'm not getting a steady voltage, If off a 9V I'm getting about 4.50V, if from the car battery its ~5.17V. I dont have any caps on this circuit mainly b/c I have no idea where they go, anyone have any advice on this ?

You MUST use capacitors, the regulator will be unstable if you don't - either consult the datasheet, or look at any circuit which uses a regulator IC. My tutorial processor boards use a 7805 regulator, you could look there.

The 7805 won't last long if you connect the +12 volts directly to the 7805 input because there can be up to 60 volt spikes (due to starting motor mostly) which will blow it. Use a hash filter as available from Radio Shack.

Thats the reason I ask about the 7805... I blew one.

What is a hash filter?

Got a pn by chance ?

ALSO: Nigel I cant find those diagram you talked about anywhere, do you have a link ?

Thanks, I found it, but i think its going to take some time to figureo out what is going on there and whay of that ' I ' need to incorperate into my designs.

270-050 is a Radio Shack filter, but it is expensive for what it does. The old 270-030 was reasonable, but it is not carried any more. Radio Shack has hardly anything useful any more. A series inductor and shunt capacitor is what is needed.

iso9001 said:
Thanks, I found it, but i think its going to take some time to figureo out what is going on there and whay of that ' I ' need to incorperate into my designs.

Have a look at the circuit from one of my tutorials, it uses a 7805 and a couple of capacitors.

Sorry, I've ben out for a few days...

Um.... I went and found the radioshack 270050A and..... its like a 2lb noise filter. WAY too big for what I'm doing.

I have no idea what a series inducer and shunt capacitor do.

Is that what I need to stop voltage spikes from buring my 7805 ?

Suggestions ?

Btw: I put the caps on and they dont appear to do anything.... Its ~5.24 w/ them off or in place. Does it matter where in the circuit they are (ie: before the feed to the pic or after?)

iso9001 said:
Btw: I put the caps on and they dont appear to do anything.... Its ~5.24 w/ them off or in place. Does it matter where in the circuit they are (ie: before the feed to the pic or after?)

The capacitors need to be as close as possible to the 7805.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back