Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

5v regulator for latte panda

Doomguy42

Hi, I'm looking to supply multiple Latte Pandas via a 12v supply and drop down to 5v with individual regulators. The spec of the Pandas says usual current draw is 1.6amps but max computational power is 2amps (momentarily).
I'm also running small touch screens aswell so I think this Is to high a current draw for a single 7805cv (2amps). I could use x2 7805cv in x2 seperate 5v circuits for the Panda and screen separately. I'm just wondering what pro engineers would do? Is there a better regulator selection available? Ideally I want to incorporate this into an existing i/o board.
Thanks for any help

Dropping from 12V to 5V at 1A is wasting 7W, and at 2A is wasting 14W - so you're talking about a LOT of heat having to be dissipated - considerably more wasted power than actually been used (5W and 10W).

I would suggest you need switch-mode regulators, either ready made modules, or self built ones.

OK I'll take a look at switching regulators thanks can you recomend any thing 3amps to look at? I have seen the modules but would like to build my own around a regulator. If you have any ideas where to start.
What it is, I'm using a 5v power supply but I have about 5meters distance to cover and I'm losing 1v. So was going to switch to 12v and step down to 5v at the devices. The cost of power consumption is not a problem. Heat dissapation is because the Panda is in an enclosure so I'd like to keep heat down if possible

OK I'll take a look at switching regulators thanks can you recomend any thing 3amps to look at? I have seen the modules but would like to build my own around a regulator.
Check the costs - ready made modules are usually only a tiny fraction of the price of just the bare regulator IC.

These are currently only £1.60

I switched to building my own (step-up) regulators on one of our products, and it substantially increased our costs, the LM2585 alone was £8.27 +vat from RS.

Building a switcher is not a trivial task as compared to a linear regulator.
I agree that just buying a module would be a lot easier and cheaper.

+1 for buying a module.

Depending on your needs, look at CUI and RECOM. They have some small modules not much larger than a TO220 78xx linear.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back