Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

rocket launcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

electromaniac

Please can some one give me the schematics for a model rocket launcher?
I need one desperately.
thanks

Four AA sized batteries in series connected to the ignitor will cause it to activate ... it does not take much power. What exactly are you looking for?

when I was little my father and I made one. it simply had cables to connect to the car battery, then had a master arming switch that I'd turn on when I got to 5, and then a big shiny red button for when I reached 0 :)

If I were to make one today it'd have to have all kinda flashy LED's and displays on it, and one of those spinning cop lights and an air raid siren too :D

I made one once but never got to test it , i just used 3 timeing circuits , as one came on it gave power to the next and then the next and the last one powered a relay that went to the ignitor .

i have not made a model rocket for years, but when i did, i just used a VERY basic ignition device. if you are looking for a quick and easy way, you can just use a long wire (double wire) (to stay away from the launch site) and a 9 volt battery. alligator clips on one end to connect to the ignitor at the rocket, and touch the two wires together to the battery. this would be the cheapest and easiest, but since the small 9 volt battery is used, it will take a few seconds for the current in the wire to make the igniter hit enough to ignite the engine. it will work though.

by the way, i used to design and build my own rockets out of garbage. does anyone know how to get the high powered rocket engines in canada? (class E and F)

adam

what im after is a cool way of lauching my rockets and also how to make an ignitor because mine broke :lol: an i dont want to buy another 1! plz can anyone help??? :D

most ignitors are basically a filiment and gunpowder... try a flashlightbulb carefully cut the glass off after soldering leads on and place in rocket engine along with fine gunpowder, use a wax slug to seal it in.

touch to 12v battery and poof!

(you asked for a simple setup)

its probably cheaper to go buy a new one....

Try this..It's the circuit for Knight Rider lights..It'll give you a sequencial countdown to fire . Just eliminate the last led and insert your ignitor. If the current required is higher than what's available , add a transistor to boost it..

say my ignitor is discharging a capacitor rather than simply running current through an ignitor (for a potato gun rather than a rocket)

how would i take an output pulse from the 4017 and make it discharge the cap to make a spark?

Ahh, a potato canon. I used an auto ignition coil to generate the big sparks and just used a oscillator coupled to a high current transistor. This method provides a constant spark, probably alot easier to ignite than using the capacitor disharge method.

pike: the only problem with that is i already have all this stuff... lol

what is ( does it look like) an auto ignition coil ?

An ignition coil is nothing more than a step-up transformer, it relies on the collapsing magnectic field of the 'points' opening to create a 40-50,000 volt spark.An oscillator can be used typicaly at a low frequency so that each spark can be seen, like a fence charger..The osc circuit (typ 555) then triggers an high power (3055) transistor to open/close the neg of the coil...The output of the coil could then be run to a conventional sparkplug screwed int the side of your 'tater gun..The coil itself comes in variuos shapes and sizes so it's best to look around and find the shape that best suits you( probably 1980-90 GM )..
Oh yeah, if you put straight dc to the primary you don't get a spark untill you remove the wire..One spark per collapsing field, this is why we use osc.....

The fastest and most reliable ignitor I ever made was with a photoflash cct. When the capacitor is discharged it will ignite any form of igniton wire/fuse etc. And with the high voltage, it travels along way through thin wires. I got bored waiting as second or two for the engine to ignite by using batteries, the photoflash is like a gun shot for speed. You can use an scr to fire the capacitor into the wires. It is powerfull enough to fire very fine copper wire wound around a match head that can be used for an el-cheapo engine ignitor/fuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back