Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RGB LED Low resolution display

Status
Not open for further replies.

robin_1084

Hello guys,

So I've decided to embark in building this new project. I want to build an RGB LED display that can "display" what ever is going on in my Mac screen in realtime. So in broad terms, basically build a low resolution (12x8) LED display but with powerful LEDs. So I have a couple of questions.

-I was wondering if it would be better to get RGB LEDs or to set clusters of separate Red, Green, Blued LEDs. I was thinking of getting 10mm Red, Green and Blue LEDs so it is brighter.

-Do you guys think this would be possible using Arduino and processing?

-If anyone has made a similar project, can you provide me with the code and schematics for it?

My idea of displaying in realtime what's going on in my Mac screen is because I have programed several visualizers that react in realtime to music so I would like my array to display this randomization of colors reacting to music in realtime, hence the "realtime" issue.

Just so you get an idea, I'm planing to build a 9'x4' panel and divide it into 96 cells and stick a LED in each cell (or 3 LEDs in case I get the Red, Green and Blue clusters). The construction doesn't worry me much, it's the code that I think will be a bit tricky. So if you guys have any advice on this subject I'd be more than thankful!

This is pretty much what I'm aiming for but with a WAY lower resolution.

YouTube - 32x32 RGB LED DISPLAY

The previous link in conjunction with this:

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back