Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RG59 coax shielding: double vs. single?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ventura

I’m going to assemble some lengths of RG59 coax video cable with BNC connectors for analog CCTV cameras for a home security system. I’ve read (online) opposing opinions about the benefit of a secondary foil shield beneath the braid shield. Some say that, flexibility aside, the more shielding the better—that double-shielded is good. Another article states that the relatively low frequencies put out by an NTSC analog camera simply don’t require the extra foil shielding and it may actually distort the signal. Apparently the requirement would be different if I were distributing broadcast frequencies in the dozens-to-hundreds of MHz, like in a CATV system--which I'm not.
Typical ready-made RG59 cables for CCTV come with just a good-quality (95%-coverage) copper braid shield, but then “Swann Pro” cables tout their being double-shielded with foil, although it does say “for use with high definition cameras” on the packaging. Maybe that’s the difference. My cameras are 420-line and 480-line.
I understand that in my application the shielding probably isn’t critical, but I would like to know the facts about this stuff works before I make a bunch of cables.
Am I correct in believing that the NTSC video signal these analog cameras output is in the 0-4 MHz range?
Is there any harm or benefit in using double-shielded RG59 coax at these frequencies?

Thanks for any guidance,

Rob

Yes, NTSC is only 0-4 MHz, and single shielding is all you need unless you have interference problems.

If I ever had any problems with RG59 I would not bother with "better" RG59, I would just replace it with RG6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back