Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RF replacement for data connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

barryn56

I have a four pin jack plug and socket carrying two signals between two sections of a tool. These cause problems due to a wet environment and I want to replace the link with a short range wireless one (distance to transmit - a few millimetres). Anyone have any references for a suitable transceiver circuit - either RF or induction?

Thanks,

Barry

Few millimetres? Seems like a strange application, any wireless link you use is going to be just as prone to the wet environement. It would make more sense to weather proof the connector you already have rather than to try to over complicate it with an RF link, especially for that distance. If corrosion is an issue gold plate everything.

Last edited:
Reliability is the key

Using a non-contact link is much more reliable than a jack plug connection, which eventually starts to short out as it is affected by moisture or water. The issue is not that the item is always in water, but is in a wet environment when connecting/disconnecting sections. Of course, we already have the connectors inside steel housings with o-rings to provide a pressure tight seal, but this is not helpful when not connected. The data transmission rate is low - 20kbaud currently. I have looked for induction systems on the web, but found only one company, and their coils are very large - we really need to find a replacement link to fit in the same area (about 10mm diameter).

Could you tell us or better yet post a few pictures of exactly what this is for? I'm having difficulty imaging the actual use this will be put to =)

If this is a digital signal over a very short distance, I would think optical transfer might be superior. Is this data two-way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back