Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Resonance proplem

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSMoshe7

Hello everyone

I want to develop detectors to identify wool and linen,
I thought to do this by identifying the natural resonance frequency of wool or linen.
But I dont know how to find their natural resonant frequency.

can someone help me with it?

Hello everyone

I want to develop detectors to identify wool and linen,
I thought to do this by identifying the natural resonance frequency of wool or linen.
But I dont know how to find their natural resonant frequency.

can someone help me with it?

What makes you think they would have such a thing?.

It might well have a resonant freq, the issue would be other things surrounding it might well have a similar resonance, depends on the testing environment, if your tesing a sample in a jar then maybe you'd be able to rig something up.

To test for a mechanical resonance you need a way to excite the material, maybe an impulse or a random noise generator, and a way to measure the motion of the material under test and be able to display its spectral content or signature, if its in the audio range then that would be a lot easier.

Last edited:
Linen is mostly cellulosic. Wool has no cellulose of course and is a protein. Both fibers have other constituents. They are easily distinguished with microscopy, including electron microscopy. They would also show different absorbance patterns in the infrared and near infrared as well as other chemical differences.

Near infrared spectroscopy (NIR) is a little out of my area of experience, but I understand that it is finding significant use in identifying natural product such as fibers and oils in complex mixtures. Most of the absorptions in NIR, such as those that distinguish NH, OH and CH , are second or third overtones of fundamental frequencies.

Is that what you meant by "natural resonant frequency?" If so, just search on "near infrared identification of animal and plant fibers" and similar terms.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back