Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Resolution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to question the knowledge of one navy calibration lab when I needed some accelerometers weighed for a test procedure. I needed the weight in grams; the scale they used to weigh the accelerometers was accurate to 0.01 pound. The list they gave me said:

Accelerometer #1: 57.145749 grams.

Seemed to be some confusion about significant figures! If they had had a better calculator, my results would have been even more accurate! ;)
Yeah, I hear that as knowing the weight of an accelerometer is sort of really important and just so there is no confusion when we use the term accelerometer we are referring to
Accel2.jpg

accelerometers which look like the above and not a chip.

Ron

Yes, exactly that type of accelerometer, although my preferred brand is Bruel & Kjaer ;)

Regardless of whether you responded to an ancient thread, your visual examples showing the difference between precision vs accuracy are priceless.

Yes, exactly that type of accelerometer, although my preferred brand is Bruel & Kjaer ;)
I have also used the B&K line pretty extensively. Actually more like past tense during the working years. Matter of fact I still have an old B&K acceleration amp laying around. I primarily used both B&K and the pictured Endevco brands including calibrating them. That is where the weight was important on the platforms used. Been awhile since those days. :)

Ron

Regardless of whether you responded to an ancient thread, your visual examples showing the difference between precision vs accuracy are priceless.
Thank you, much appreciated.

Ron

Been a long time for me too. We eventually got away from high impedance accels, low noise Microdot cables and in-line amps and went to ICP-type accels for most stuff (ICP is a registered trademark of PCB Piezotronics, yada, yada, yada). Much less grief and troubleshooting needed for portable measurements (including submarine and surface ship noise and vibration monitoring programs).

Much less grief and troubleshooting needed for portable measurements (including submarine and surface ship noise and vibration monitoring programs).
Well you struck a nerve there. :) My first 20 years were primarily NAVAIR community and my last 22 or so were NAVSEA with a focus on Navy Nuclear Propulsion (Naval Reactors). Yeah, accelerometers figured into acoustical testing. Go figure huh? :)

I am also familiar with PCB Piezotronics, matter of fact I think we bought a few handheld accelerometer calibration units from them before I retired. What I really liked was PCB's line of ballistic transducers, obviously not work related. Pretty cool stuff. When I saw your location and reference to ships it clicked. :)

Have a great weekend...

Ron

Most of my work was making submarines quiet but we did all the reactor plant noise and vibration testing too and later the vibration monitoring program for the aircraft carrier fleet with a private contractor. So I've seen a lot of shaking ;)

Sounds about like my side working with the LANT side of the house. I spent considerable time visiting BETTIS Atomic Power Lab in PA and we hosted KAPL Atomic Power Lab people frequently. What they call quietizing is pretty cool stuff. With the B&W Nuclear Operations Group we were the guys building the control rod drive mechanisms for the subs and carriers. Last systems I worked with were the S9G reactors for the subs and the A1B for the carriers. The S9G being used in the Virginia Class subs. The really cool boat was the Sea Wolf class but not being quite inexpensive we only built 3 of the class. Looking back it was a great career and I actually really enjoyed my work. I was also afforded the opportunity of working with some people who I tremendously enjoyed working with.

Ron

I was one of the guys doing sound signature recordings on the CRDMs for you.... sometimes followed by a flurry of "you screwed up", "no we didn't" letters until somebody got sick of replying ;) I was probably a bit before your time, on the 637 class, A2W and D1G plants. It hasn't been that long ago that many "old friends" have been scrapped.

I moved from ordinance, mostly torpedoes to reactors right around 1990 and retired during 2013 at 63. I remember the D2W and A1G units. B&W bought us a few years before I retired, prior to that we were Marine Mechanical Corp and employee owned so that worked out sweet for those of with the salary pension plan and owning a good chunk of stock. I still get together with the old department A&T (Assembly & Test) once a year for a Christmas lunch. The 675 Sturgeon Class builds were when I was still NAVAIR community. Matter of fact I was still a young Marine in 75 at 25. :) Heck, been real interesting as I seldom find anyone familiar with Naval Reactors. Been a nice trip back in time. :)

Thanks
Ron

I can't say my dealings with NR were always pleasant ;)

Being a vibration guy in a naval shipyard was a fantastic learning experience. We were responsible for overseeing certificate of machines during shop testing and shipboard, and troubleshooting any vibration problems so that took me everywhere in the shipyard. Seeing a main steam turbine as it's being assembled is a sight few will ever see. Lots of fun and memerable experiences there.

Seeing a main steam turbine as it's being assembled is a sight few will ever see. Lots of fun and memerable experiences there.
I guess that actually pretty well covers it. Today it's all memories. Some great and some "I can't believe I did that". Working around the subs things like acoustics and vibration take on an entire new meaning. :)

Ron

Hey Ron why you replying to a old thread :D. Its never going to be forgotten you hold the new record for necro threads :D

Hey Ron why you replying to a old thread :D. Its never going to be forgotten you hold the new record for necro threads :D
Yeah, but myself and JonSea seem to have gone off with our own little discussion. Rather than start our own conversation. :)

Ron

Yeah but WE all know your just trying to cover the blushes :p, still if you can revive something that old...... I got a week old steak here uncooked you could try on :D

Actually LG I wasn't the one to revive it. It just looks that way. Jim explained what happened. :) Not every day I find someone who did the sort of acoustic work I was involved in, like JonSea. It was work sort on unusual in nature, so we enjoyed a little sidebar conversation in a dead thread.

Ron

Actually LG I wasn't the one to revive it. It just looks that way. Jim explained what happened. :) Not every day I find someone who did the sort of acoustic work I was involved in, like JonSea. It was work sort on unusual in nature, so we enjoyed a little sidebar conversation in a dead thread.

Ron
Bunging a Mod £5 to come up with a cover story dosnt cut it with me sorry :p

Let's see it is 2232 EST so aren't you up a little late? :)

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back