Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Absurdly high frequency resolution of function generators?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I once had an HP RF generator with 12 digit display and I made a test set using hpib serial port to program it

The spectral purity was exceptionally high due to some brilliant dual PLL loops HP invented in the 70's that made it work like a spectrum analyzer LO and mixer that up converts the entire range then down. Then I used the HP precision Time Interval counter with similar high resolution for measuring RF cycle to cycle phase shift for our 1st Satellite transmitter to go uplink to GOES #1 . Specs on freq error within 1ms of power up were very tight and tighter after 3ms and phase shift deviation was very tight.

The reward was the 1st photo of earth from Washington DC's GOES Sat Com certification lab or was it the Tiros N Sat test set? anyways it was Circa '77 .. forgive my memory.. Its round here somewhere...

Bill Whitehead did the design of he Tx, and I programmed the automated testset one afternoon on an HP desktop calculator HP9825 in HPBasic with HP RF testers with ridiculously high resolution and phase stability.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back