Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Resistor, Capacitor, and 9v to 5v questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibwev

I am trying to recreate a "Hello World" experiment of Chuck Hellebuyck as published in the January 2006 article of "Nuts and Volts" (Nuts & Volts - January 2006). Any help with the following three questions would be much appreciated:

1) The datasheet of the 16K876 shows max current of 250mA on the VDD port. Why should the VDD port not be protected by a resistor of 36 ohms (R=V/I=9V/0.250mA=36 ohms)?

2) In the article, how is the 9V battery reduced to 5V?

3) In the hardware schematic, should a 20 microfarad capacitor be used instead of the 20 picofarad?

This post should be moved to the MicroController Forum.

I am trying to recreate a "Hello World" experiment of Chuck Hellebuyck as published in the January 2006 article of "Nuts and Volts" (Nuts & Volts - January 2006). Any help with the following three questions would be much appreciated:

1) The datasheet of the 16K876 shows max current of 250mA on the VDD port. Why should the VDD port not be protected by a resistor of 36 ohms (R=V/I=9V/0.250mA=36 ohms)?

That spec is the absolute max current allowed on any PIC pin. Unless you have a short circuit on some other PIC pin, the current flow from the 5V supply into the VDD pin on the PIC will be a few tens of ma, so no external resistor is need. Nor would the PIC tolerate one there.

The Nuts&Volts article is yet another example of a project created by a programmer who doesn't know that there should be a bypass capacitor of ~1uF connected + to the PIC VDD pin, and - to the PIC VSS pin. :D

2) In the article, how is the 9V battery reduced to 5V?

There is no mention of this in the article. PICs must be powered from <5.5V. Usual practice is to use a suitable LM7805 IC regulator if you are starting from a higher voltage.

3) In the hardware schematic, should a 20 microfarad capacitor be used instead of the 20 picofarad?

No. 20pF is right to create a Pierce Oscillator across the two PIC Pins.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back