Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

resistor and capacitor assortments

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrz126

Anyone know where I can buy a nice sized assortment of resistors and capacitors? Jameco has a nice set of resistors for sale: 100 each of 27 values (10, 47, 100, 150, 220, 270, 330, 470, 680, 1K, 1.5K, 2K, 2.2K, 2.7K, 3.3K, 4.7K, 5.1K, 5.6K, 10K, 15K, 22K, 33K, 47K, 100K, 470K, 1M, 10M ohms) for $24.95, unfortunitly they dont have a capacitor assortment.
Are those values pretty much all I should need for typical projects? (If I need an oddball value, I can always 'borrow' one from school)

I'm starting to clean up my room and set up a decent work area for myself. I'd like to have a nice set of organized resistors and caps on hand.
Right now I have some of those little drawer thingies full of resistors and caps that I desoldered, and it is a pain in the butt to find ones that I need.

Also, Im planning on buying the drawers to store them in seperately so that I dont have to pay shipping on them.

jrz126 said:
100 each of 27 values (10, 47, 100, 150, 220, 270, 330, 470, 680, 1K, 1.5K, 2K, 2.2K, 2.7K, 3.3K, 4.7K, 5.1K, 5.6K, 10K, 15K, 22K, 33K, 47K, 100K, 470K, 1M, 10M ohms) for $24.95, unfortunitly they dont have a capacitor

Wow, that's a cent a piece, not a bad price!

Those are mostly the 20% values (100, 150, 220, 330, 470, 680) with a few missing and a few added. It looks like a very good selection. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

You could later add 6.8k, 68k and fill the void between 1M and 10M if necessary...

Jeff- a couple of thoughts.

Dan's Small Parts has some assortments, as I recall. Examine the circuits you are working on and you might notice some very common values. Quite often Dan's or Jameco will have sales on these so you can have plenty on hand of the most common values. I'd bet that 20% of the values will solve 80% of the search problem with capacitors.

Small plastic zip lock bags are great for keeping things in order. I get them at hamfests - 2x3 inch and 3x5 inch are sufficient. For resistors I'd do one of two things. For random assortments I'd sort by the last color band - tens, hundreds, thousands, etc. It doesn't take long but really speeds up the search when you need them. For the ones I use more of (the lower values it seems) I sort them individually. I mark the bag with a sharpie marker - letting it dry. If you don't handle the bags too much the marking is good enough. What I've done is packed the zip lock bags w/parts into larger, clear plastic containers. I might have to pull them all out to sort but they go back in quickly.

I am not one to over-organize but I find that just a little bit of time up front, roughly organizing, can really speed up the projects and make is less of a burden to find the parts. Quite often, for me, that will be the difference between the project being fun or a chore.

I'm after a decent resistor assortment as well. I do have a selection of values here in my workshop but I've never had a full assortment due to limited picking locations available. I've got a few decent storage racks but the drawers are mostly filled with ICs so I need to get myself a bigger one purely for resistors. As it happens I'm building myself an EEPROM programmer with switchable 3V3 and 5V supply which I designed, and I need a resistor value which I don't have to hand. Definately have to sort it out.

Brian

jrz126 said:
Anyone know where I can buy a nice sized assortment of resistors and capacitors? Jameco has a nice set of resistors for sale: 100 each of 27 values (10, 47, 100, 150, 220, 270, 330, 470, 680, 1K, 1.5K, 2K, 2.2K, 2.7K, 3.3K, 4.7K, 5.1K, 5.6K, 10K, 15K, 22K, 33K, 47K, 100K, 470K, 1M, 10M ohms) for $24.95, unfortunitly they dont have a capacitor assortment.
Are those values pretty much all I should need for typical projects? (If I need an oddball value, I can always 'borrow' one from school)

I'm starting to clean up my room and set up a decent work area for myself. I'd like to have a nice set of organized resistors and caps on hand.
Right now I have some of those little drawer thingies full of resistors and caps that I desoldered, and it is a pain in the butt to find ones that I need.

Also, Im planning on buying the drawers to store them in seperately so that I dont have to pay shipping on them.

https://www.vakits.com/index.php?osCsid=aef63b8fff0b08b3145debca59d6f7ae

**broken link removed**

https://www.elexp.com/cmp-indx.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back