Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reputation???

Status
Not open for further replies.
3v0 said:
So if I have it right reputation balance is neither positive or negative. Why bother? Why give it in conjunction with a positive comment ?
I think it has to do with their own reputation status. For instance, if AudioGuru gave me a positive rep it would have more effect than if you, 3V0, did it due to the fact that he has more green squares than you.
So if a noob gives me +rep it comes out neutral because they haven't been on the board long enough to get any weight behind their votes.
If you check out this thread:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/ranking.27159/
You'll see Nigel give Hero999 two extra squares in one vote.

Last edited:
You shouldn’t need a diploma to prove you graduated from Cambridge University. And if you do, Cambridge University should save itself the embarrassment and not give you one.

I think there is validity to that statement and believe the same philosophy should apply to reputation points. After all, if someone has five green squares, does that make them a more reliable expert on everything, including perhaps the question of the existence of God?

Of course not. One’s comments should stand on their own merit. There are enough people active on this site to correct blatantly wrong statements. Moreover, good reputation points can be given for a variety of reasons besides expertise in electronics. It has already been suggested that there are ways of gaming the system too.

So, I suggest the following revisions:

1) Reputation squares would not be shown;
2) Number of posts would continue to be shown;
3) Positive feedback can and should continue to be given as a way to support and to thank those individuals on this site who do a lot of work and help a lot of people; and
4) Negative feedback can be given that will be reviewed by the moderators for corrective actions as appropriate. I think they are currently doing a great job at that too.

John

Thoughit matters ones feeling, there are many factors that influence ones reputation level. For some time we , I feel should not bother much for these levels and we should go on rendering service to members. whether the concerned member enjoys or not , really depends on his/ her status (technical or financcial)

I recollect a case where the advise is very apt but the O P could not afford it, at this time frame. such cases should not and need not efeect the performane levels of either the councellors or even the O P.
Many times what we feel just a peanut is many times a hard nut to the taker.
The topic of modern components and their general availablity / affordability due to to international transportation costs, forbids the other persons from buying. Then the comments from councellors have been so pinching to the membership and at times these go to the stage of letting down the status of the countried where from some people post requests and suggestions.

These things also should matter to effect the performance of councellors as they have let down centiments of of others- instead of just confining to technical councelling.

I fear, I have not gone long way on modalities of gaugeing the performance levels.

Last edited:
I have two grey reputation squares from noobies who didn't like when I told them to ask their teacher. It didn't affect my number of green squares.

But it doesn't matter because I come here to chat about electronics, not to make a reputation.

weegee said:
yup, im happy with that, i just got caught off guard as i didnt expect it, only one thing i would add is 'add a comment if using the rep system'

but it takes a good man to own up, and for that i thank you :)
I normally leave a comment when leaving reputation, even if it's negative. I suppose I was too angry at the time to even think about making a comment, besides if I had made a comment then it probably would have just been offensive.

kchriste said:
I think it has to do with their own reputation status. For instance, if AudioGuru gave me a positive rep it would have more effect than if you, 3V0, did it due to the fact that he has more green squares than you.
So if a noob gives me +rep it comes out neutral because they haven't been on the board long enough to get any weight behind their votes.
Yes, this is correct.
Each member has a reputation score and a reputation power. Your reputation score changes when other members who have reputation power rate your posts.
Your reputation power indicates how much you can affect other members' reputation score. Your reputation power depends on a number of factors (join date, number of posts, your reputation score).

Last edited:
Maybe it's just that I haven't got any, but where do you go in your CP to see reputation?

Its on the first page when you click on user cp. If you don't have any, nothing will show up.

Hi Audioguru,

audioguru said:
But it doesn't matter because I come here to chat about electronics, not to make a reputation.

You chat about all sorts of things, some are even electronics related. :D

on1aag.

LOL.. even about monkeys talking about their owner LOL:D
I can't help laughing myself after reading that post.

I always forget to give reputation even though I've been asking a LOT of questions lately and a lot of people have put a lot of effort into answering them. SO I searched up all my posts and went around giving out tons of rep. Not sure if it made a difference, but I think a few people have more squares than before.

I was wondering what all this "reputation" talk was about so I finally put the effort in to find my Control Panel for the first time. How about that, some nice chaps have left a few comments. There are only five listed, but the number indicates there are older ones not shown. Is there any way to find the older posts that gathered reputation points for me?

dknguyen said:
I always forget to give reputation even though I've been asking a LOT of questions lately and a lot of people have put a lot of effort into answering them. SO I searched up all my posts and went around giving out tons of rep. Not sure if it made a difference, but I think a few people have more squares than before.
That explains it, thanks.

I've repped Ron for you as it looks like you forgot and he's helped you a lot recently.:)

bananasiong said:
LOL.. even about monkeys talking about their owner LOL:D
I can't help laughing myself after reading that post.

That was a great one (my favorite). Guy wanted to "spy on his monkeys fighting" right?

I received a couple grey reps. One was from a ****-Chat thread. Hero999 started a thread on God and someone in there did not like what was said, and I think they nailed anyone that did not agree with them. :D

So do most of you use the reputation feature here? I always try and use it when one of you gives me a helpful reply, but I have yet to get one. Granted I am not able to help as much as some of you, but I am active enough to get those "give me the circuit for this" PMs. lol Its surprising I have yet to get a grey newbie square.

lol. Someone gave me negative rep (or neutral) (and i quote) "For giving out rep simply to offset someone else's rep" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Marks256 said:
lol. Someone gave me negative rep (or neutral) (and i quote) "For giving out rep simply to offset someone else's rep" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Yep, same comment I received when someone hit Hero for his opinion on God. So I gave him a + to offset that -, then they did me with the exact same comment.

I would imagine the same person that did Hero (and it was not even electronics related; evil person) or someone lower. :).

Anyway, they are just little dots. When I want a little green dot, I will do this :D

lol. Yeah, that is why i got it.
:D :D :D :D :D there's my five (dots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back