Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ranking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eng1

Just a curiosity about the ranking... I received positive reputation from a few guys who thought that my answers had been helpful and the coloured box near their comments (in my CP) is sometimes green and sometimes grey. What does this mean? How do these points modify the ranking of a member?
For example:
-Nigel has over 16000 posts now and he is "a jevel in the rough", 2 green boxes under his name
-most members have 1 green box and they are "on a disinguished road" or they will "become famous soon enough"
-audioguru has 1 green box and he "has a spectacular aura about"

Is there any section that explains this? :)

Last edited:
There's just a lot of smaller levels that correspond to each box - you can go up several levels before the number of green boxes increases. It is possible to get quite a number of green boxes (as I've seen on other forums where people deliberately overused the rep system for fun), but it takes a lot of rep, which means people have to actively use the system - many people don't bother giving rep most of the time, myself included.

As far as the actual descriptions associated with different rep levels, I'm not sure what exactly they mean or how much rep it takes to get a given level...

I was wondering about that too. I'd like to see what all the titles are. I wish more people would use the rep feature, then maybe we could see. I have given almost everyone rep, and now I can't give anymore. It says I have to spread reputation around before I can give it again. I don't think I have received any rep yet, if I have I don't know were it shows up in the user CP.

What colour are the squares nex to the comments?

It only counts if they're green or red, if they're blue it means the person who rated you doesn't have any rating power, i.e. they haven't been rated before.

Andy1845c said:
I don't think I have received any rep yet, if I have I don't know were it shows up in the user CP.

I see the reputation in the main page of the CP, under the subscribed threads.
There is a score too.

Hero999 said:
It only counts if they're green or red, if they're blue it means the person who rated you doesn't have any rating power, i.e. they haven't been rated before.
They are green and grey(blue?).

eng1 said:
I see the reputation in the main page of the CP, under the subscribed threads.
There is a score too.

Nope, I don't have any then. Guess I shouldn't be surprised though:rolleyes: lol

eng1 said:
They are green and grey(blue?).
Red squares add and green squares subtract, greysh blue squares are neutral because the persone who's given you the reputaion doesn't have any rating power.

You need quite a few green squares from people without much power or one green square from someone with a high rating power to get another green square.

Thanks!

I've lost count, is it just me or have I just jumped from two squares to three?

Perhaps it's because you're a mod and you have lots of power. :D

Hero999 said:
I've lost count, is it just me or have I just jumped from two squares to three?
Yes! But you had one square before, not two!

Hey! I would also give rep to the OP who started an interesting thread for the community :D (just kidding :D)

So with the ranking, does that have anything to do with reputation? My CP tells me that i have 12 points for reputation. Is that good or bad?

Nigel Goodwin said:
No, you jumped from one to three! :D :D :D :D
Oh yes, silly me!:D

Marks256 said:
So with the ranking, does that have anything to do with reputation?
Yes, your ranking is directly tied to your reputation.

Originally this forum linked post count to rank which was crap as some members had made 1000s of annoying posts, others had made 100s of helping people so ElectroMaster instated a rating system.

My CP tells me that i have 12 points for reputation. Is that good or bad?

That's fairly average, I think.

You might have some squares with comments next to them at the bottom of the page will be some squares; what colour are they?

If you click on the square it will take you to the post from which you acquired the reputation.

Last edited:
There is only one, and it is green. it linked to the thread about that dvd/vcr combo problem of mine.

The person who rated you probab;ty doesn't have enough power to give you another square. I assume that everyone has 10 points by default and the person who rated you had a rating power of two giving you 12 points.

Assuming the person who rated you has the default of 10 points that would mean [latex]RatingPower = \frac{points}{5}[/latex]

Marks, if you only have one rating, it was from me. I have given all the regulars positive rating. But as I am learning here, I don't have any ratings, so mine have little/no clout.

Yeah, could be worse, we could have 1 red square like a few here have....;)
I just gave ya positive rep, but it didn't chane your square count.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Based on what you said above, it just requires someone with a higher ranking?.

If your reputation power is higher, you give more points. Yours is high because of some factors. I've found an interesting reference :)

# Register Date Factor
The number of reputation points that a user is able to give or take is dependant on several factors, with the length they have been registered as one of them.

# Post Count Factor

# Reputation Point Factor
The users current reputation score can also affect their reputation power.

Another interesting function:

# Reputation User Spread
This setting dictates how many unique members that a user must rate before they are able to rate the same member twice. The goal of this setting is to stop a member from either artificially bumping or dropping a user by repeatedly rating their posts.

https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/main/vboptions_reputation

hi

Reading thru some of the threads makes me wonder how the OP makes an informed decision which one of the replies to accept, from all the answers he is given.

I expect by now most OP's are aware that the 'rating' of a person answering his question is only based upon the number of posts the person has made and is no way an indication of their qualifications or abilities.

Some are just sarcastic one liners, which waste everyone's time, but just bump up the posters post score.

Some are highly detailed explanations, which to a 'novice' looks very informed, but are quite often totally wrong.

If I was a 'novice' [ in my dreams] I believe, I would most likely go for the solution that is posted/supported by more than one member.
That would give me a confidence 'majority' factor.

Thats why if I see a poster getting lots of conflicting guidance, I feel I should backup/support the person who I believe is giving the correct advice.

Regards
EricG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back