Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Remote Detonator for rc heli question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

t3553r

Hey so I have a remote control helicopter that outputs 4v to the motor when I give it full throttle on the remote and goes down to 0 when i let it go. I want to know how to increase the voltage to 9v when i get on the throttle...is it possible to use a transistor? or a relay? Thanks in advance :)

It depends on the circuitry, it seems 4V is the power supply so you might not be easily able to switch it to 9V without your circuit blowing up, well you do want detination!

If the circuit outputs pwm to say, a mosfet or transistor then you will be able to do some modifications, why do you want the helicopters motor to blow up with 9V anyways?

ok just to clarify the helicopter circuit is being used to wirelessly shoot bottle rockets off another helicopter...I don't want to change the power supply...I want to add a 9v battery to the circuit somehow and allow the 4v im getting to trigger the 9v to run ...the motor is not connected at all so it wont be blowing...essentially the problem is i have 4v running on the press of the remote, but 4v is not enough to ignite my rockets so i need 9v..i read that transistors and relays are the way to go...unfortunately i have no idea what i'm doing when it comes to transistors.

There are LAWS against mounting rockets to fire off of any model aircraft.

circ.png
so this is the circuit...the two wires that run to the little motor are + and - I want to disconnect them and get them to either get 9v when the remote is pushed or hook up a 9v battery with a transistor that allows the 4v to switch on a separate 9v circuit.

I would just use a 5 volt micro relay. They work just fine on four volts. Or get a 3.3 volt one. the slight over voltage for the small duration it takes to get the ignitors to work wont bother them one bit.

I trump your island though,:( I have my own reality! :p:D

I would just use a 5 volt micro relay. They work just fine on four volts. Or get a 3.3 volt one. the slight over voltage for the small duration it takes to get the ignitors to work wont bother them one bit.

Hmm sounds good can you help me a little more though...5VDC/1A SPDT Micro Relay - RadioShack.com would this one work? if so how would I wire it up with that circuit I've never used a relay before...? If i'm using that I don't need the 9v battery? Does the relay essentially just jump up the voltage without another power source?

EDIT...i read up on relays and i understand how they work now...they are more or less and electro magnetic switch...is it possible to do the same with a transistor?

Last edited:
Not to rain on your parade here but I've experimented with the remote helicopter you have and it has a lifting capacity of less than 15 grams total. With 10 grams of load the helicopter barely lifts off the ground and battery life is dramatically reduced. You'd need a gas powered hobby R/C helicopter to lift any payload above a few grams.

Not to rain on your parade here but I've experimented with the remote helicopter you have and it has a lifting capacity of less than 15 grams total. With 10 grams of load the helicopter barely lifts off the ground and battery life is dramatically reduced. You'd need a gas powered hobby R/C helicopter to lift any payload above a few grams.

Good call. really good. :)

We can't ignore that aerodynamic thing can we...

Last edited:
Is it this helicopter? I got one for free from Energizer Battery Company.
It can barely lift itself but it is fun.

Attachments

• Havoc heli.JPG
    Havoc heli.JPG
    6.9 KB · Views: 174
Yeah luckily the parts im using for the ignitor are from a micro rc copter and they weigh almost nothing...the copter still takes of with the payload...if I wanted to use a transistor how would I wire it up? Please refer to my picture above to understand the circuit.

So you are trying to use parts from the micro helicopter to ignite a rocket on a larger helicopter?
It uses pulse-width-modulation for its speed control. All the pulses are +4V but their on-time/off time duty-cycle changes with the throttle.
You could filter the pulses with a series resistor and a capacitor to ground and use the filtered signal to feed the base of an NPN transistor that drives the ignitor from +9V.

im not really sure what your talking about regarding pulse with etc...but i used a micro 3.5 relay from radio shack and wired that up to switch on a 9v when the 4v is juiced through the relay and it works perfect...thanks for all the help.

There are LAWS against mounting rockets to fire off of any model aircraft.

There are laws against doing all sorts of things, but they don't seem to stop people from doing those things anyway...

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back